Chapter Sixteen - "Just out and about"

Colton and I spent a couple hours at the shooting range. I felt bad spending a lot of time there, practicing because Colton wasn't doing anything. He just sat there watching and encouraging me.

    One of the employees offered him a range and bow but he didn't take it. He said he was fine watching me and if that's what he wanted then that was fine with me.

    I just shot my last arrow before I put my bow down and found my way back to Colton.

    “Your great out there, Baby Girl!” he encouraged as he pulled me to his side.

    “Thanks but I still have a lot of work to do,” I said, walking out to the car with him.

    The car ride home felt shorter than the last even when we stopped to grab lunch on the way. Again, Colton wouldn't let me pay which I felt bad about but it was impossible to change that boy's mind.

    We walked in the front door of the house laughing and goofing off. We didn't realise that anyone was home, that my Dad and Alison were in the lounge.

    “Hey, you two,” Alison chirped, “Where have you been?”

    The two of them were looking at us as if they were almost disappointed. Oh no! Did they know? Did they catch us? I started to panic.

    Colton tensed beside me. I could tell he was thinking the same thing I was.

    “Just out,” Colton said.

    “And about,” I added.

    Wow. Why was I blathering? I was a really bad liar.

    “Yeah and where's that?” Dad insisted.

    “Just out, jeez, Dad. Get off my back,” I grumbled and started to storm off up the stairs pulling Colton with me.

    “Krissy!” Dad called.

    “What?” I called back.

    “Come here, please,” he ordered.

    Colton looked at me with a questioningly expression.

    “You think they know?” he asked in a whisper.

    I sighed and shrugged.

    “I don't know but they can't. And I'm a terrible liar,” I whispered back.

    I walked back into the lounge. Alison and my Dad both had shocked expressions.

    “Yes?” I asked calmly trying to act as normal as I could. Wow, lying really put me under pressure.

    “You didn't answer my question-” I cut him off.

    “Look, if your going to bust us then do it already,” I bursted out. That was it. I cracked. It was over.

    “What do you mean? I was just going to tell you some great news. Why are you acting so strange? What are you hiding?” he asked, more shocked than ever.

    Behind me I could feel Colton trace an 'x' on my back. I knew what he meant. He didn't want me to tell the truth and I wasn't planning on it.

    “What's the news?” I asked, avoiding the question.

    “I'll tell you one you tell me what's going on,” he said.

    “Nothing-”

    “Krissy,” he said in a warning tone. He knew I was about to lie.