Chapter Nine - The Lies Start

That morning I woke up a lot more peacefully than the last. My eyes fluttered open and drifted to Colton's alarm clock that read 9:00 am. Naturally, I always woke up at this this time in the morning if I hadn't been woken up by someone else. It was a debate with myself over whether I actually got up or not.

   I pulled away from Colton's chest and looked up at his angelic face. I knew he was still peacefully asleep because his breathing was steady. He was so cute when he was sleeping.

   That would make a perfect picture! Quietly, I reached for my phone off the side table where I had left it. I turned on the camera setting and snapped a few pictures of him. Then of course, I saved it as my background.

   Unfortunately I I forgot to turn the sound off and as I took the photos the camera made a loud 'click'. Colton groaned, waking up.

   "Well this is a little better than yesterday morning," he smiled, not opening his eyes.

   I smiled sadly at him.

   "Colton. What are we going to do?" I asked, concerned.

   "What do you mean, Baby Girl?" he asked.

   "Well I mean, what will the parents say? We're going to be step-siblings," I explained sadly.

   He looked up at me with pleading eyes.

   "Krissy, your not going to tell them, are you?" he said in a serious tone.

   He was defiantly serious if he used my name.

   "Well Colton, I have to. They deserve to know what's going on," I told him.

   "Trust me, they don't. Your daddy won't know," he insisted.

   "What exactly is 'this' anyway?" I asked.

   "You tell me," he said.

   I sighed and looked away from him, thinking of an answer. He took my hand and turned my chin so I faced him, just as he had before.

   "Listen Krissy, I really like you. Soon-to-be-step-sister or not. We can work something out," he confessed. "Please, give me a chance."

   "I don't know...if I can," I explained, looking to my left so I didn't have to look into his deep blue, begging eyes.

   "Hey, look at me," his voice was soft and soothing.

   My eyes flickered to him only for a moment, connecting with his.

  "You can. I'll be with you every step of the way. All you have to say is 'yes'", he encouraged me.

   I stared into his eyes for what seemed like forever before answering him with "Okay," I nodded.

   "'Okay' works too," he chuckled.

   Colton smiled from ear to ear with clear happiness spread across his face.

   "You know your too perfect for your own good," he said kissing the top of my head.

   And that was that. Colton wrapped his arms around me and rocked me gently.

   "So, what do you want to do today?" I chirped.

   "I could think of a few things," he teased.

   I giggled but shrugged off his comment.

   "I'm being serious, Colton," I smiled.

   "Me too," he said in a husky voice.

   I rolled my eyes. Even though I had agreed to be his, I knew he wouldn't stop being the same flirty Colton. I didn't mind it at all though.

   "So the park then?" I asked, hopefully. I loved spending my days outside.

"Sure, Baby Girl. Do you like baseball?" he asked.

   "Honestly, I don't know. I've never tried it but I'm not really good at sports so I'm guessing no," I confessed.

   "Well we can fix that," he said.

   "Ugh. Please don't make me play! I hate sports," I groaned.

   "Too late now, Baby Girl. You were the one who wanted to go to the park," he reminded.

   "Yeah but I was hoping for like a romantic picnic or something," I complained.

   "A picnic?" he laughed at me.

   I just glared at him with my arms crossed over my chest.

   He sighed.

  "Fine. How about we go to the park for a picnic and play a little baseball while we're at it?" he offered.

   "Okay, I guess," I said happily.

   I hopped off his bed and headed for the door.

   "Get dressed, I'll meet you down stairs in a bit," I called from down the hall.

               -§-

    I was dressed in faded jean short shorts, a black tank top with a purple plaid top cover, my black convers and my new sunglasses planted on the top of my head.

   My hair was pulled back into a high ponytail and I kept my make up to a minimal.

   I tidied up my room briefly before heading downstairs to meet up with Colton. When I saw that he wasn't down yet, I headed to the kitchen for a quick breakfast.

   To my surprise both my dad and Alison were still here. Dad was hunched over a bowl of cereal reading the paper, while Alison was gathering a pile of book and papers, ready to leave.

   "Oh, Krissy!" Alison chirped. "I was just heading off for work. Was there anything you wanted me to bring home later?"

   "No thanks," I simply said.

   She nodded. "Well what are your plans for today?"

   "Actually, Colton and I were just heading out to the park to play some baseball. You know, to get to know each other more," I explained. It wasn't a total lie.

   "Bonding time. Sounds great!" she clapped. "Well see you tonight."

   She kissed my dad on the cheek before heading out the door. I let out a sigh of relief. It's not that I didn't like Alison, it's just that she was a little too energetic for me.

   "So baseball, eh?" my dad said, looking up from the paper.

   "Yup," I said, popping the P.

   You hate sports," he pointed out.

   "Yeah, but I'm willing to give it a try," I shrugged.

   "Okay," he said. "Well I should be off too."

   He gathered up his stuff in a briefcase, hugged me goodbye and left the house.

   I was snacking on a granola bar when Colton came down. He was wearing jeans and white T-shirt. His hair was perfectly cropped under a blue baseball cap. He was always so gorgeous.

   "Close your mouth, Baby Girl, you'll catch flies," he teased.

   I pushed playfully on his chest and rolled my eyes.

   He chuckled.

   "Ready?" he asked.

   "Mhm," I answered, with my mouth full.

   "Oh, I almost forgot," he said and pulled out a red baseball cap, placing it on my head.

   "Now you won't have to worry your pretty, little head about getting sunstroke," he teased.

   "Okay, let's go," I smiled.

   Colton wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me to him as we left the house.