Chapter Twenty One - All Good Things Come To An End

The car ride home was silent. I didn't say a word and neither did Colton. He looked as though he was lost in deep thought. I was too scared to ask what was on his mind, as if I didn't want to know.

    I sat in the passengers seat of Colton's truck looking up at the clouds and wondering what I was going to do.

   No, I already knew. I was going to talk to his dad quietly when we got back. I didn't care if he wanted me to go somewhere, I would go.

   I wasn't going to let everyone die just because I didn't want to see him.

   Soon the truck rolled to a stop in our driveway. Colton made no attempt to get out, he just sat there.

   I had no time to just sit here though. I had work to do.

   I pushed open the car door, only to be stopped by someone tugging tightly on my wrists.
“Wait,” Colton demanded.

   I sighed and shut the door, sitting back quietly in my seat. I didn't want to look at him in the eye though. I knew he could see right through me.

   “Yes?” I asked softly, still looking down.

   “I need to talk to you. And I need you to understand,” he said.

   I slowly nodded, unsure of where this was going.

   “I'm leaving, Krissy.”

   “What do you mean? Where are we going?”

   “We're not going anywhere. I'm leaving.”

   Did I hear him right!?

   “Why?” I demanded.

   “He's back, Krissy. I can't be the problem for wrecking people's lives. He's here because of me,” he raised his voice.

   “No, Colton! You leaving will be wrecking everyone's lives. Think of your mom, Brent, my dad....me. We need you,” I explained.

   “I have to go!” he yelled.

   “I won't let you,” I said.

   “Why not, Krissy!? If I'm gone, you can be happy with him out of your life too,” he explained.

   “Because I love you, Colton!” I yelled back.

   Everything went silent. He looked down at his feet, refusing to look at me. His face had no expression. No relief, happiness, fear, sadness, or even love.

   “You can't stop me,” he said strictly.

   My heart dropped to my stomach.

   I heard a car door slam and Colton was no longer next to me. Tears started to form in my eyes.

   I couldn't believe him. I had poured my heart out to him and told him I loved him, something I was scarred to do, and he completely ignores me!

    Tears were now running down my face uncontrollably. They wouldn't stop. I could feel mascara running down with them but I didn't care at this point.

    My chest was tightening and I was having trouble breathing.

   I violently opened the car door and marched into the house, up to his room to find him packing.

   “I don't believe you,” I demanded.

   “Don't believe what?” Colton asked, not looking up at me.

    “YOU! I don't believe that you'll just walk out on me. Look at me in the eye and tell me that you don't love me!” I ordered.

    A pained expression crossed his face before he looked up at me.