Chapter Twenty Two - Finale

This was exactly we were trying to avoid. All this trouble for nothing now. We had been caught red handed. This time there was now way out, no lie we could come up with to fix it.

            “Get you hands off my daughter this instant!” Dad outraged.

            I was frozen in place. I manage only to push Colton away . He looked at me with hurt spread across his face. His eyes, begging for me to come back to him.

            “Wait just a minute!” Alison outbursted. “This is just as much your daughter's fault!”

            “Don't give me that crap! You know how boys are at this age! Typical behavior for one,” Dad snapped back.

            “You would know! You are one!” Alison hissed.

            “It's not Krissy's fault!”  Dad insisted.

            “It's no one's fault!” Colton spoke up.

            Both Dad and Alison stopped their bickering as their heads snapped to look at Colton.

            “Look at you two. Fighting over who's fault it is,” Colton continued, “What is it exactly? The fact that Krissy and I want to be together? The fact that we love each other? How is that anyone's fault!?”

            That shut everyone up.

            I looked at Colton in shock which then lead to love and adornment. I intertwined ,

            “I'm sorry but I don't still don't see how this is going to work,” Alison piped up.

            “Your right, this was a mistake,” Dad agreed.

            Alison nodded and held out her hand to my dad. Sitting on her palm was the engagement ring he'd proposed with.

            Shock spread across my dad's face, but it dropped quickly, as he covered it up.

            “I'm sorry,” she said in barely a whisper.

            He nodded and snatched the ring from her hand.

            “Come on, Krissy, we're leaving. We'll come back for our stuff tomorrow,” he ordered.

            He began to stride down the hall to the front door, expecting that I was following.

            I sat in my place, not knowing where to go. Not knowing where I belonged. Beside Colton, or Dad.

            Dad turned around at the end of the hall, realizing I wasn't behind him.

            “I said, come on, Krissy,” he warned.

            I sighed in defeat and pulled myself up off the floor. I didn't make it very far before I a hand collapsed around my wrist. I was tightly pulled by to Colton's side.

            “You don't speak for her,” Colton growled.

            “Actually I do, I'm her father,” Dad challenged, narrowing his eyes at Colton, warningly.

            “I don't care who you are,” Colton hissed.

            “Colton, let her go. She's not worth it,” Alison pleaded.