Chapter Three - Dad's Big News

I was being softly shaken in my sleep. "Krissy...wake up," a familiar voice cooed.

   I rolled around a bit before my eyes fluttered open. I rubbed my eyes and yawned until I became a little more awake. My dad was standing over me

   "Morning," I said, sleepily.

   "Krissy, you have to get up. It's going to be a busy day for us both," he informed me.

   I nodded and slowly got out of bed. My head was killing me. I ran for an aspirin. The good thing was I didnt throw up once!

   "Meet me down stairs in fifteen minutes. We're going out for brunch," he said.

   "Brunch? Since when do we ever have brunch?" I asked.

   "Since now, Sweetheart," he laughed, leaving the room. "Oh, and wear something nice!" he called down the hall.

   Okay then I understood. It was obviously something to do with his work. He was having a meeting over brunch with his boss that required me to come and look nice. Maybe he was getting a promotion! Now I see why it was a surprise.

   After a quick shower, I went through my closet and picked out a white, halter summer dress that went about a little higher than my knees. Since the party, I have been feeling a little more rebellious than lately. I mean nothing too drastic but I did wear eye liner, mascara, and a touch of eye shadow. My silky brown hair was naturally wavy past my shoulders, so I left it alone. I also picked out a pair of wedged sandals. This was not my style but I was going to give this summer a new look for myself.

   I looked myself over in the mirror. I looked pretty good. I mean nothing over the top, but for brunch, I had really pulled it off.

   "Ready, Krissy?" dad called from down the stairs.

   "I'll be right down," I called back. With a last look over, I grabbed my keys and cell phone, and shoved them into the bottom of my purse. Then I made my way down stairs.

    Dad wasn't wearing a full suit but he was wearing a decent shirt with dress pants. Casual for him.

   "Okay, let's go." he said, guiding me our the door and locking it behind him.

   Soon we were driving towards the restaurant. I was playing around on my iPod when I smelt something unusual, cologne, coming from my dad.

   "Are you wearing cologne?" I asked.

   "Yeah. Too much?" he asked.

   "Just a little," I said.

   It was unlike him to wear it. He hated it.

   Shortly after we pulled into the parking lot of a small diner. I had never been there before.

   When we went in dad stopped inside and looked around. He spotted a women who was waving at him. We walked over to her table.

   Dad took a seat next to her and I sat across from him. Was this his boss? She looked to be just a little taller than me. She had long blond hair and hazel eyes.

   "Tom!" she said excitedly kissing him on the cheek.

   This was weird! I'm guessing not his boss!

   "You must be Krissy. Tom's told me so much about you. I'm, Alison," she introduced herself, holding out her hand for me to shake.

    I slowly nodded and shook her hand not saying anything.

   Who was she? I gave my dad glance that said 'What is going on?'.

   "Tom, haven't you told her?" Alison asked worriedly.

   Dad cleared his throat, "Krissy, Alison and I are engaged," he said happily with a smile.

   Engaged!? He's getting married!? And he's just telling me this now!? No one could ever replace my mother! This threw me off guard but I tried to hold it in and not let it show.

   I smiled even though I was screaming on the inside.

   This was reassuring to them both and the started out in conversation. I wasn't listening though. So many things were running through my head.

   Soon I started to listen to their halfway conversation. "He's just run to the washroom," Alison told dad.

   "Who?" I automatically asked.

   "Your soon to be step brother," Alison answered excitedly.

    Step brother!? Okay this was all just too much!

   "We met on a business trip. Both from different companies..." Alison ranted on about how she had met my dad.

   I just smiled and pretended to listen.

   Behind Alison and my dad, the boys washroom door opened in the back. A tall figure came out and headed in our direction. I only really looked at him when he stopped at our table.

   Colton, from last night, was standing beside me. What was he doing here!? I started to sip back on the glass of water that was placed in front of me.

   "Colton. Sit down," Alison chirped.

   "Krissy this is Colton, my son." Once I herd that I immediately started to choke on my water. Colton was going to be my step brother!? Out of all people! Wow karma really is a bitch!

   "You okay, Krissy?" my dad asked, concerned.

   "Yeah, I'm good," I said calming down.

   I looked up to see Colton smirking.

   I had to slide down in the booth for him to take a seat next to me.

   My dad started up a conversation with Colton. Something about sports. I wasn't listening. Instead I pulled out my phone and pretended to text. That is until my phone actually vibrated.

   Message from: Colton: Daddy's girl, huh? I should've guessed ;)

   I glared at him from the corner of my eye and kicked him harshly under the table. I herd him wince a little.

   Great. My whole life just changed drastically in less than an hour. FML.