chapter twenty nine

"I DIDN'T DO IT I SWEAR TO GOD!"

You gasp for air, sitting up as you come to your senses. You look around your surroundings, and see that you're in a partially dark room, sitting in someone's bed. You awkwardly scratch your head.

"Well now..." you mutter, swinging your legs off the bed. For some reason, the back of your head was pounding, and you had a mild headache. You hear a door open, and footsteps approach you.

"Good god, Itachi! What happened?!" you exclaim, catching sight of the elder Uchiha's face in the dim light of the room. He looks rather tired to you, almost as if he's worn out.

"Itachi?" you ask, changing your tone of voice so you didn't sound as if you were antagonising him. He sits at your side, rubbing his temples, and pain shoots through the back of your skull, making you wince.

"Sorry about back there," he says, smiling weakly and putting his hand behind his head. "I swear those ninja were out of their minds."

You frown and nod, only briefly remembering the crazy blonde man.

"So, what are we doing today?" you ask, excitedly jumping in bed. You reach out and grab his hands. "Huh? Huh? Huh?"

He shakes his head.

"Well, er, for starters, it's one in the morning, so we really have nothing to do except get some rest," he says, looking as if he desperately needed some sleep. You stop bouncing.

"Oh, pfft, I knew that," you say lightly, letting go of his hands so he can go back to bed.

"Night, Itachi." He gets up and switches the lights off, while you snuggle back into bed, unable to go back to sleep. You gasp a little as you feel the side of your bed sink.

"Itachi?"

"Shut up, I'm going to sleep."

He rolls over so that he faces you, and you roll your eyes as he falls asleep with his arm draped over your body.

le next day

"Are you going to tell her or what?" hisses Sasuke under his breath as he sits with his brother at a table in front of a cafe. The place they'd stayed at last night had been totally unaccounted for, and the two brothers needed to get you up to the main government building in the center of the village as soon as possible.

"Tell her what? 'Oh, (name), did I mention that when you came to Konoha we sealed away your memories and made you think that you had amnesia'?" snaps back Itachi, glaring at his younger brother. You come out of the cafe, bearing a little brown bag with your lunch packed in it, ready to go. You instantly notice the friction between the brothers and frown.

"Did I miss the Fourth Great Ninja War?" you ask jokingly, trying to lighten the mood. Sasuke scowls and pushes his chair out, getting to his feet.

"Look, change of plans," says Itachi lightly, also getting up. "We're, uh, gonna go visit the government building first! Isn't that great?"

You frown.

"That sounds boring," you whine. "What happened to finding a kenjutsu master and spending a week learning how to use Tenshi?"

The blonde man's words to Itachi as he ran away swam into his head.

That girl isn't safe anywhere in this Land, he had scowled. She'll be dead by tomorrow afternoon if it's just the two of you acting as her guards. Pssh.

"Well, actually, the, um, council actually requested your presence!" he says, quickly making up an excuse as to why anyone in their sane mind would drag a hyperactive sixteen year old girl to some boring government building. Your visible eye lights up in surprise.

"What? Why?" you ask, quite shocked. Itachi smirks, making Sasuke roll his eyes. You squint your eyes at Duckbutt. He's been acting tetchy ever since you woke up.

"Well, who would pass up the opportunity to meet the famous (name) Uchiha in the flesh?" he says, laughing. You grin.

"Well, I'd hate to disappoint them," you smirk, slightly embarrassed that the council themselves had requested your presence.

"Come on. They want us there by four."