chapter twenty three

Flashback

"Miyuki-chan?"

An innocent three year old Itachi stood outside of his house, staring at the back of his retreating aunty. She sighed, and pulled the hood of her dark robes off, turning around to face her young protege.

"Hey there, Itachi," she said, approaching him with a small smile on her lips. He reached out to her, and she crouched down so that they were face to face.

"What are you doing?" he asked, confused as to why she was wandering around in the middle of the night dressed in suspicious clothing. Miyuki sighed.

"I'm going with Katsu," she said in a soft voice. The young Uchiha frowned.

"Why can't Katsu come and live here? That way you can stay, and neither of you have to live away from the Village!"

Miyuki placed a hand on Itachi's face, her amethyst coloured eyes full of sadness at the prospect of losing one she had cared for for so long.

"Katsu... isn't liked by my family," she said, trying to explain her actions. "He doesn't like them either, so him staying here isn't really an option."

Itachi's lip trembled.

"Then why don't you just leave Katsu, then?!" he demanded, eyes beginning to well with tears. "You can leave Katsu, and stay with the clan!"

Miyuki sighed yet again, and reached out to hug the young boy. He buried his face in her long, soft, black hair, sniffling as tears came to his eyes.

"I can't, Itachi," she said softly, trying to console him.

"Why?!" he cried, sobbing into her shoulder. "You don't have to go!" She patted his back, sighing.

"Katsu and I are going to have a baby," she said in a warm, loving voice. "I promise you, Itachi, that when she's old enough, I'll bring her back for a visit. How does that sound, huh?"

"I-I don't understand why you can't just h-have the baby here," he said, choking on tears.

"Well... Katsu and I have some things to take care of in his land. Remember how I told you that his father is a big and great leader in the Land of Storms?"

Itachi nodded, wiping his eyes.

"Well, his father's been having some trouble lately, so Katsu is needed by his side to help his old father," said Miyuki, trying to explain it as innocently as she could. The truth was, the Land of Storms was in civil war, and Katsu's father needed his son to help him win back control of the land. Miyuki was going along too, regardless of the fact that her parents had strictly forbidden her from setting foot out of the safety of the village walls. Never mind the fact that she was a grown woman: no, her parents were constantly on her heels about why she couldn't be like her oh so perfect kind of cousin Mikoto and settle down with a respectable man from the clan and raise a family. Tch. As if.

"Why do you have to go?!"

Miyuki sighed, and let go of the young Uchiha boy.

"It's a long story, Itachi. But I promise you, I will return, understood? After my parents have calmed down, of course," she said, trying to make him laugh, or even smile. He did neither.

"You don't have to go," he repeated for the umpteenth time. Miyuki sighed and rose to her feet.

"You're right. But I want to, Itachi." She turned her back on him, a sad look on her face as she put her hood back on. There was silence.

"When you... when you come and visit... can I take care of the baby?" asked Itachi, lightening Miyuki's mood. She laughed, and turned to face him.

"Of course," she said softly. "If you promise to protect her for me, that is!" she added with a light laugh. Itachi just managed to crack a smile, and he puffed out his chest.

"Miyuki Uchiha, I promise that no matter what it takes, I'll take care of and protect your child with my life!" he said proudly, using lines he had heard other shinobi say to those they were sworn to guard. Miyuki laughed, and ruffled his dark hair.

"Thank you, Itachi," she said. She glanced up at the sky. "I have to go now. I'll see you soon, ne?"

She bent down and gave him one last hug, before turning around and vanishing into the night.

That was the last time Itachi ever saw Miyuki Uchiha.