chapter seven

"My, my (name)-chan, don't you look just fabulous tonight! That necklace of yours is absolutely stunning!" As you make your way into the dining room with Fugaku, you see your aunt and uncle Uruchi and Teyaki rise to their feet. Uruchi looks as if she has stars in her eyes at the sight of the famed Uchiha kunoichi (name) out of her training gear and in proper clothing for once.

"Oh, it was a gift from-" Your words are cut off as your aunty squeezes you in a tight embrace, and you're sure you can hear a rib or two cracking. You give her an awkward, lopsided grin, towering over your elderly aunt. You look up, dying of suffocation, and see Mikoto enter the room with her two sons. Itachi seems rather pleased with himself, but Sasuke looks like he wants to murder everyone in his presence. You catch his eye and give him a reassuring smile, making him scowl even more and look away.

Hurtful, you think sadly, as Uruchi releases you. She reaches up and pinches your cheeks with her cold, withered hands, beaming.

"What a wonderful wife you'll make when you-" Teyaki jumps in, waving his wife away from you. He laughs nervously.

"Now, now, Uruchi, don't get too carried away," he says, scratching the back of his head. "(name)'s still got her whole life ahead of her, and I'm sure that as one of the village's top kunoichi she won't have any time for any of this marriage talk!" You grin at your uncle. He always seemed to be the more open minded one of the couple. Uruchi huffs as she walks over to the long, rectangular chabudai(Japanese style low kitchen table), and takes a seat on the left side. Mikoto nudges you to go and take a seat at the opposite head, making you argue under your breath.

"But that's Uncle's seat!" you say, refusing to take Fugaku's place. "Besides, I can just sit on the left with aunty Uruchi!" Mikoto shakes her head as she urges you forward.

"Never mind about that," she whispers. "It's only temporary!" After a bout of low whispering and shoving, you finally succumb and take your seat at the upper head of the table, giving your uncle a sheepish apologetic look in the process. He merely nods, and takes his seat across from Uruchi, making you gape. The long table seats a maximum of eight people, and right now the only ones actually seated are you, Uruchi, Teyaki, and Fugaku. Mikoto's gone to the kitchen to fetch the last couple of food dishes with the aid of the two brothers.

When they come back, you full well expect Mikoto to take a seat at the opposite head, and are mildly surprised when she instead opts for a seat next to Fugaku, facing your uncle Teyaki. Sasuke takes a seat next to his mother, grimacing, and you can't help but shiver as Itachi takes his seat at the other end of the table, facing you.

You suddenly feel very self conscious about the fact that you're in his direct line of vision, and fumble with your hands under the table.

"Well, well, Mikoto, you've outdone yourself again!" exclaims Uruchi gleefully, clasping her hands together. Her husband nods in agreement.

"No arguments there," he says. "The food looks wonderful!"

Although the smell of the food wafts right under your nose, you don't feel hungry anymore, and the only thing you feel like doing is taking off the stupid yukata and undoing your hair and curling up in your bed at home so you could get some much needed sleep.

"Right! Itadakimasu!"

The meal passes with some polite chit chat here and there, mostly fuelled by your aunt Uruchi stepping in and hassling you about things like what your plans for the future are and what your thoughts on marriage are. When she asks you how many children you'd want, you choke on your chopstick and have to yank it out of your mouth before it jams itself in your throat. She hits you on the back as you cough up a few stray grains of rice, your face flushing furiously.