chapter fourteen

That night, the table feels empty as the only ones present are you, Mikoto, Sasuke and your guest for the night, Inabi, representing his side of the clan. At the end of it all, you end up going to the living room with Inabi and Sasuke while Mikoto stays behind as per usual and cleans up.

"Thanks for coming over tonight, Inabi," you say as you settle into the couch with Sasuke by your side. He merely nods at the pair of you, before withdrawing a small leather pouch with a string wrapped around the top from his pocket and handing it out. You lean forward and take it from him.

"Thank you for the gift," you reply softly, gently clenching your fist around the leather bag and dropping it into your lap. He nods at you to open it.

You undo the string, and put two fingers into the pouch to see what you get. You end up pulling out a little glass bottle of water, which looked as if it were just more than a mouthful.

"Chakra boosting water," explains Inabi. "Just one drop will increase the consumer's chakra by tenfold. However, you must never ever drink it all at once. The consequences are deadly." You nod, turning the little bottle over in your hand. You didn't need him to tell you that.

"Would you say it's also useful for healing wounded ones?" asks Sasuke as you stare at the little, crystalline bottle in your hands. The water is still, unmoving. Tenfold chakra from one drop of this bad boy. Wow.

"Mmm. Though I wouldn't recommend giving it directly to the wounded one themselves," says Inabi. You and Sasuke both look up at him.

"Why?" you ask, curious.

"Well, firstly, if it's only a minor injury, then use of the water would be a waste," he says. "Secondly, if you are using this for a major wound, the chakra could overwhelm the weakened person and basically kill them instead of heal them."

"Well then, how would you use it to heal wounded ones?" says Sasuke, sounding impatient. You gently touch his thigh, signalling him to calm down.

"Let's say, for example, that you and (name) get caught in battle and you, Sasuke, are mortally wounded. If by this time, (name) is still well and active, then she's able to consume the water without any implications. Lo and behold, we now have a (name) with ten times her amount of usual chakra and a weak Sasuke with barely any chakra left and on the brink of death. Think of it as a maths equation," he adds.

You and Sasuke glance at each other.

"So... somehow (name) gives me the chakra?" Inabi nods.

"You have two options: a fast one, and a slow one. Since you're in battle, of course you'll want to use the fast option, but the slow option in itself is obvious. The first way would be for (name) to use that chakra and heal you fully, hands on. That takes time, which you often never have while out on the battlefield."

"The second option is a faster, more efficient way of healing, even if it is only temporary and short lived at the most. If Sasuke were to bite you, (name)," says Inabi, looking at you. You and Sasuke flush at the idea and Inabi chuckles at the expressions on both of your faces.

"Now, now, you two, not that kind of bite," he says, shaking his head. "You could just bite her on her arm. That'd be the more intelligent thing to do in a situation like that. Okay, Sasuke, if you were to bite (name), you'd be able to get into her massive chakra supply and take some of it for yourself. Just enough to get you back on your feet, but not too much to the point that it'll kill you. Make sense?"

"Now why would I let a loser like Sasuke bite me," you say, rolling your eyes. He scowls and elbows you, making you smirk. Inabi chuckles, and rises to his feet.

"Thank you for having me over tonight, (name)," he says, holding out his hand to you. You get to your feet as well, shaking his hand.

"The thanks all go to Mikoto," you say, smiling and clutching the crystal bottle in your free hand. You feel Sasuke get up beside you and reach his hand out to Inabi.

"Take care, you two," he says, walking out. You and Sasuke wave, before looking at each other and sitting back down.

You wait for him to sit first, then swing your legs onto his lap and lean back into the arm of the couch. huffing.

"I so want to go home and get all of this off," you mutter, leaning your head back and closing your eyes.

"I'll walk you home," says Sasuke. You cover your face.

"I'm too lazy to walk, you should carry me," you mumble, feeling drowsy. You clutch the crystal vial in your hand tighter, so it doesn't fall from your grasp. You feel Sasuke stand and in one fluid movement, he's hoisted you up and over his shoulder.

"Hey!" you exclaim, slapping his back to put you down. He merely puts his arms under your butt and hoists you up higher, making you shriek in protest as you nearly slip off.

"I can't stand the thought of having you sleeping over and complaining all night," he says. You sense him roll his eyes, scowling, and just drape yourself over his shoulder, letting your arms hang loose. He carries you out into the street, and you see people peek out of their windows to have a better look at this strange sight. You see a little boy run to the window, and hear him run back to his parents, shouting "THERE'S A CREEPY GUY CARRYING A DEAD GIRL OVER HIS SHOULDER!"

Sasuke hears as well, and begins to quicken his pace, and within minutes you're at the front door of your own humble little abode. He drops you onto the front footstep, and you grimace at him, dusting yourself off.

"Loser," you sneer, turning your back to him to unlock your front door. Sasuke crosses his arms, scowling. You smirk, and push your door open before turning back to look at him.

"Thanks, Sasuke," you say genuinely. He grimaces with his arms crossed. You roll your eyes.

"Fine, fine." You walk into your house, and Sasuke finally speaks.

"Goodnight, (name)."

You smirk, and shut the door on him.

Oh, how cruel you are.