chapter thirty five

"What are you doing, (name)?"

Itachi watches you from bed as you finish dressing and strap on your shuriken pouch. You continue to ignore him and finish wrapping bandages around your hands, before slipping your black, chakra enhanced gloves on.

"(name)?"

Your vision is cloudy as you struggle to keep your memories at bay; you felt as if you were being enveloped by darkness, which would gnaw at you little by little until it could devour you all at once. Sensō has something that belongs to you, and it was your mission to get it back.

"Mhm?" You strap on Tenshi, even though you're pretty sure you don't know how to use her. Now fully equipped with your special shuriken, kunai, and gloves, as well as your chakra boosting water, you feel ready and all set to go.

"What are you doing?"

You turn around and face Itachi, all dressed for battle. He looks upon you in admiration as you look upon him with a cold, stoic face. Last night you'd dreamed of that night, and relived it over and over again until you could bear it no more. It's that memory that's made you sink back into your old cycle of bitterness and hatred. Itachi notices your change, and sighs.

"(name), you can't seriously be thinking of taking on Sensō on your own, can you?" he asks as you briskly walk over to the bedroom door.

"He has something that belongs to me, Itachi," you say coldly, standing with your hand on the door handle.

"And I will get it back, no matter who has to die in the process."

Itachi gets to his feet and joins your side.

"Then let me come with you," he announces loudly. "I'll help you any way I can."

You snort, opening the door.

"Why bother? It's obvious you only feel the need to protect me because you promised my mother you would."

Itachi slams a hand against the door frame, his arm preventing you from stepping out. He looks at you with a straight face. You frown at him, and try to push him aside.

"I need to-"

"Yes, I promised your mother I would protect you, but you know what? That doesn't mean I can't love you. Even if I hadn't made that promise, I guarantee you that I would love you just the same as I do now."

You can't help but roll your eyes, making Itachi scowl.

"(name), I love you, okay?" You cross your arms.

"I'm not so sure about me loving you," you say coldly. Itachi glares at you, and you see him activate his Sharingan.

"Don't you dare threaten me, Itachi!" you snap, fully pushing him aside and walking out, adjusting your Konoha headband so that both your eyes are fully visible. "If you come along, you might as well bring Sasuke along!"

With that, you begin to make your way out of the Palace and back to the council building to face Sensō for the return of the Land and your mother's eye.