chapter three: the diamond necklace

After helping Mikoto clean up, you make to leave and get back to your own home.

"Thank you for having me over for dinner tonight!" you say, thanking your aunty as you put your shoes back on.

"Oh, you're welcome back any time, dear!" comes Mikoto's voice from down the hall. Once you've put your shoes on, you open the door and call out a final goodbye.

"Ja ne!" Before you've taken one step out of the house, though, you feel someone grab your wrist and turn around, alarmed. It's only Itachi. You breath a sigh of relief, not knowing what you'd expected.

"Let me walk you home," he says, giving you his ever present smile. You grin.

"It's okay Itachi, really," you say. "I only live down the road, after all."

"So? Besides, I could use a little fresh air," he says, pulling you outside before you can argue any further. You snort at his suddenness, and begin to walk side by side. Itachi looks up at the sky.

"Beautiful night it is, right?" he says in a light voice, staring at the full moon. You nod, not paying any attention to him.

"Mmm, the moon looks beautiful," you say, a nice hot shower the only thing in your mind. It's now that Itachi stops you, holding your hand with his. You look at him in surprise, and he tilts his head to the side, smiling as elegantly as ever.

"What's wrong?" you ask, looking around furtively. Are we being followed? Is someone going to attack? He merely grins more, and lets go of your hand. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a black velvet box, just slightly bigger than his palm. You raise an eyebrow.

"What." Your voice is flat and dull. Quite frankly, none of his actions right now seemed to make any sense whatsoever. He holds out the box to you.

"A gift. From me, to you," he says quietly. You clasp your hands together and grin at him.

"Well, I do enjoy receiving gifts..." you say sneakily, reaching out and grabbing the box. You open it and instantly gasp.

"No way!" It's a beautiful little choker necklace, which has a beautiful crescent moon inlaid in the center of three rows of shimmering...

You gasp as you examine it further, and look up at Itachi, shocked.

"These are real diamonds!" you exclaim, one hand clasped over your mouth. Itachi nods, and you shake your head.

"You've got to be joking me! Like- what?!" You pull the necklace out from its box, and examine it even closer. Yup. There was no doubting it. Absolutely real diamonds. You gape even more at Itachi, out of disbelief and incredulity.

"It's about sixteen carats," he says, explaining. You let out a little scream and punch him straight in the face, making him gasp and step back.

"Six... six... SIXTEEN?! ITACHI UCHIHA, ARE YOU INSANE?!" you exclaim, getting all up in his grill. "HOW MUCH MONEY DID YOU WASTE ON THIS, HUH?! AND FOR WHAT?! ME?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" You reach forward and grab the front of Itachi's shirt, a vein popping dangerously on your forehead.

"EHHHHH ITACHI GODDAMN UCHIHA WHAT WERE YOU TH-"

Your words are cut off as Itachi takes you in his arms and presses his lips to yours. Your eyes widen, and you stand there in shock as he kisses you. A thousand thoughts rush through your mind, majority of them being iTACHI'S GONE CRAZY!!!

When Itachi finally pulls away from you, you're blushing furiously, and struggle for words. He smirks and puts your foreheads together, one arm wrapped around your waist.

"Nothing is too expensive for you, (name)-chan..." he murmurs, putting his head on your shoulder and whispering into your ear. You want to scream, cry and vomit all at once. You're at a loss for words.

What is Itachi doing?!

He wraps his arms around you in a tight embrace.

"I love you, (name). And you will be mine." You try to speak, but the words get stuck in your mouth, and you end up choking on your own saliva. Itachi smirks and presses his lips to your cheek. It's now that you finally gain the courage to push him away.

"Thank you for the gift, Itachi, but... I have feelings for someone else!" you exclaim, your face now a deep maroon colour. Itachi's smirk slowly fades from his face, and you wince, preparing yourself for his outrage. You close your eyes, praying that this moment would get over and done with.

Instead of yelling, though, Itachi puts a hand on your face, making you open your eyes in shock. He's smiling at you, as loving as ever.

"Oh, don't you worry now, (name). You'll come around eventually." He plants another kiss on your lips before vanishing on the spot, leaving you standing in the middle of the road with your mouth agape and a sixteen carat diamond necklace in your hands.