chapter four: his future wife

When you wake up the next morning, you go about your usual daily routine before you head out to meet Fugaku and his sons at the training grounds. As you pass your kitchen table with your toothbrush in your mouth, you notice a little card propped up on the tabletop. You frown and pick it up.

See you soon, (name)-chan.

There are little hearts doodled on the paper, and you choke on your brush, having to yank it out of your mouth before it slides down your oesophagus. A vein pops on your forehead.

"ITACHI!!!"

Ten minutes later, you're at the training grounds with the three Uchiha, who stand waiting for you in the center of an enclosed arena.

"Hi, guys!" you greet cheerfully, striding forward. You casually glance at Itachi, who appears to be acting as if nothing happened last night. You internally sigh and bounce up to your uncle.

"So, what is it today, uncle?" you beam, clasping your hands together. He folds his arms and grimaces.

"You'll be sparring with one of these two today," he says. You sweatdrop.

"Eh?"

"And by sparring, I mean fighting to the death. Minus the death part, of course. I don't want any dead children around here," he says warningly. You tilt your head to the sky and groan loudly.

"Fine, who am I challenging?" you say, looking at the two brothers. Fugaku frowns.

"Good question." He turns and faces his sons, who both look uneasy at the thought of having to fight one of their own. "Any volunteers?"

Itachi and Sasuke exchange looks, and Itachi nudges him forward.

"Sasuke. He's closer in age and skill to (name)," he says quietly. A vein on your forehead pops, and you ball your hand into a fist.

"EH?! WHAT WAS THAT ITACHI?! DO YOU THINK YOU'RE STRONGER THAN ME?! HUH? HUH?!" Fugaku has to hold you back as you leap for the older Uchiha brother, ready to pummel his face with your fist. They all sweatdrop.

"Itachi it is!" says Fugaku loudly, still trying to contain you. "Sasuke shall battle you some other time, then!"

You stop squirming around and land on your feet with a heavy thud, glaring at Itachi.

"Perfect!" You draw a kunai from your pouch, and get into position. Sasuke and Fugaku leap into a tree to watch the battle from above. You take a deep breath, and give Itachi the look of death with your single, visible eye. He merely grins, and continues to stand looking relaxed.

"My, my, (name), you're even prettier when you're angry," he says, chuckling. A vein on your forehead pops and you start yelling at him again.

"That is so not cool, Itachi! You knew this was going to happen, and you wanted to mess with my head beforehand, huh?!" You're starting to lose your temper, breaking the first and foremost rule of being on the battlefield: never show any emotion.

Itachi merely sneers, and performs the hand signs for his first jutsu.

"Fire Style: Fireball Jutsu!"

As you and Itachi begin your battle, Fugaku and Sasuke watch on from the treetop as the clash begins.

"She certainly is powerful, isn't she?" says Fugaku to his younger son, analysing all of your moves. Sasuke merely nods, eyes locked on you and all your movements.

"And graceful..." he murmurs, as you narrowly dodge being hit by a flood of kunai thrown at you. Fugaku raises his eyebrow and briefly looks down at his son before going back to watch the battle at hand.

"I'd expect nothing less from Itachi's future wife," he chuckles lightly as you attempt to zap Itachi with a lightning bolt. All around, trees and rocks were falling victim to you and Itachi's battle, either being incinerated or obliterated. Sasuke looks at his father, gaping.

"Wh-what do you mean?" he exclaims. His father chuckles yet again.

"I thought it was rather obvious," he says, patting Sasuke on the back. Sasuke glares at his father.

"Well, it's not!" he snaps angrily. Fugaku sighs and closes his eyes. You yell something inaudible, and Fugaku and Sasuke both duck as a fireball narrowly misses blowing their heads off. You wave at them from below.

"Sorry!" you apologise, before running back to Itachi. Sasuke smiles a little at the sight of his best friend, then goes back to talking to his father.

"Seriously, father, what do you mean?" he exclaims, brow furrowed in frustration. Fugaku shakes his head.

"Well, I think she's going to marry him anyway... Itachi does have his ways."