chapter forty

You blink your eyes repeatedly, letting out a little groan. What had happened?

Sitting up, you see that you're lying in the sandpit of a playground you recognised from your previous childhood in the Land of Storms. You sit right up, taking in your surroundings. Sure enough, it's the playground you were thinking of, complete with its swings, slides, and monkey bars.

"She's finally awake!"

You gape as you see two people bring their swinging to a halt, flabbergasted. The male one simply leaps off his swing and begins running straight to you, his grey eyes glistening with excitement and his short brown hair unkempt as you remembered it. The other person, a female who looks like the exact same as her brother but with feminine features and longer hair, shakes her head with a sigh, her swing slowly coming to a halt before descending.

"K-Kaminari?! Ina-Inazuma?!" you exclaim, utterly bewildered by the sight of your two dead siblings running at you with their arms outstretched. They looked the exact same age they had been when they died, not a day older.

"(NAME)-CHAAAAAAN!" You're knocked back to the ground as Inazuma tackles you with a hug, sending both of you crashing into the brittle sand. As soon as he hugs you, you know this isn't a dream.

Or is it?

"Ina...zuma..." you wheeze, feeling yourself being crushed by your older brother's embrace.

"(name)-chan, I've missed you so much!" is his cry as he buries his face into your shoulder, crushing you even more. You hear Kaminari coming from the side, shaking her head with a "tsk."

"Ina, let her go, you might kill her before mother gets here," she says, an eyeroll obvious in her tone of voice. Your older brother does so, letting you get onto your feet and greet your older sister. You stand before her, a few inches taller. The sight of it makes you restlessly step from foot to foot, uneasy about the fact that you were finally taller than her.

"My, my, (name), haven't you grown," says fourteen year old Kaminari softly, her eyes revealing years of aging. Your lip trembles and you throw yourself at your older sister.

"But you haven't!" you wail, clinging onto her shoulders while she laughs and pats your back. You hear Ina smirk from behind you, and Kaminari reluctantly prises you away from her, beaming brightly.

"I'm still taller than you though," says Ina with a laugh, only about a couple of inches taller than you.

"Give me another year and I'll be past you," you say challengingly, poking your tongue at your brother, who returns it.

"You're covered in blood," says Kaminari, nose scrunched up in disgust and holding you at arms length. You blink, and look down at your body. Sure enough, you're coated with it. Ina walks back over to the sandpit, and his face contorts into one matching Kaminari's.

"Did anyone lose an eye?" he says, sticking out his tongue and looking at you. You rush to his side and look down at the ground, greeted by the sight of an eye with a dark amethyst iris covered in sand. You resist the urge to vomit and pick it up, shuddering.

"Mum should be here soon," says Kaminari, smiling.

"She would've been here sooner if someone hadn't taken so long-"

"Hey, what do you mean-?!"

"Nothing, Ka-chan, just saying..."

Kaminari rolls her hands into fists as a vein pops on her forehead, and rounds on her older brother by three minutes.

"WHY YOU-!!"

"Ina! Ka-chan! What on earth do you think you're doing?!"

The three of you freeze in your tracks and turn at the sound of an all too familiar voice. As sweet as honey, and as smooth as silk, you all recognise the voice as your mother's.