chapter one: the second itachi

*Eight years later*

"Well done, (name)-chan! You've certainly improved, haven't you?" Fugaku's praise for you resonates throughout the training grounds as you demonstrated your own perfected version of the Fireball Jutsu, where you produced a wall of fire just like the Great Fire Annihilation jutsu, but also multiple fireballs similar to those of the Great Fireball Shower jutsu. You take a deep breath, then look back at your uncle, grinning. Your eyes slide over to Sasuke to see if he's recognised your power yet.

"All in a day's work, right?" you say, grinning goofily and scratching the back of your head. Fugaku, who sits flanked by his sons, nods.

"The second Itachi, that's who you are," he says, eyes closed with his arms and legs crossed. Sasuke scowls, and Itachi rolls his eyes. You approach the trio and sit right in front of Fugaku, beaming. You scratch at your face as Sasuke's and Itachi's eyes settle on you.

"Well, no offence uncle... But I don't want to be the second Itachi." You nod at said person. "Or the female Itachi. Or even Itachi's other half, or, whatever you crazy people call me these days. No, I want to be the first (name)! (name) Uchiha, the strongest Konoha kunoichi that ever lived!"

Fugaku opens one eye, then makes a little noise and backs away quickly, as you've leaned right up to him so that you're face to face and your noses are nearly touching. You hear Sasuke and Itachi snicker at their father being caught off guard, and grin even more.

"This is why I wanted you to join the ANBU years ago," he mutters, dusting himself off and getting to his feet. "I think you've all proven enough to me today. Go on, enjoy the rest of the day. Dinner at six. Don't be late, or else Mikoto will have you all strung by your necks."

When he's gone, you're left sitting on the ground facing the two Uchiha brothers. You grin at them. Itachi returns your smile, but Sasuke rolls his eyes and points at your cheek.

"You performed a Fire Jutsu and ended up burning your own face in the process. Nice." You look down to where he's pointing at but can't see anything. It's then that he leans forward and pokes it, making you yelp.

"Argh! How the hell?" you exclaim, tenderly poking your burnt cheek. You're so focused on your cheek that you don't notice the look Itachi is giving you. Sasuke looks up at you and smirks.

"Very smart." He gets to his feet. "Well, I'm going for a walk. Are you two coming or not?" You look at Itachi, who gets to his feet and offers a hand to help you up. You grasp it, and get to your feet.

"Where to?" you ask, grinning at Sasuke. He puts a hand in your face, making you exclaim in protest.

"You smile too much. And probably just around the village, I guess," he shrugs, taking his hand back and putting it in his pocket. You grin at him, and he rolls his eyes. Again. His eyes slide down, and you look to see what he's staring at. It's then that you realise that you and Itachi are still holding hands. You gasp and withdraw your hand from Itachi's, grinning and looking up at him.

"Sorry," you apologise naively. "I forgot." He shrugs, but gives you another impossibly handsome smile. You giggle to yourself and turn back to face Sasuke, who's begun to walk.

"So, Sasuke..."