chapter seventeen

"Anyway, onto lighter issues, what do you want for breakfast?" beams Itachi, all traces of his previous serious demeanor gone. You scratch your head.

"I don't know... toast?" You couldn't possibly think of anything else in your pantry worth making a meal out of. He laughs.

"Funny! I know, we should go out!" he says, looking at you confidently. You sweatdrop.

Why does his mood keep changing so suddenly?

In less than ten minutes he'd gone from cute and cuddly to deadly and seductive to serious and rigid to now hyper and excited and you just couldn't wrap your head around it.

"As in... a date?" you say warily. He merely smiles and shrugs.

"Maybe!" He slings his legs out of bed, sitting up, and slaps you on the thigh. "Get dressed! We'll go into town for breakfast!"

You sweatdrop as he walks out of your room, closing the door behind him. Sitting up, you scratch the back of your head, wondering.

Not long after, you've dressed into your usual gear: short long sleeved black dress, fishnet leggings, black face mask, and your kunai and shuriken pouch tied around your upper thigh. Oh, and your headband covering your weird eye. On your way out of the room, you grab your black purse and shove it into your bra, before making your way to the living room to meet a patiently waiting Itachi. He beams at you, all dressed up.

"Where's your headband?" you ask curiously as he shuffles you out of your own house.

"At home, I'll pick it up on the way," he says, smiling brightly. Soon enough, the two of you stand in front of your house and surprisingly, he makes you wait outside for him.

"But I wanted to say hi to Sasuke," you whine a little, making Itachi laugh and ruffle your hair.

"Little raven's on a mission with his teammates! Left earlier this morning!"

You sigh and watch Itachi make his way into his house, arms crossed. You hadn't been on a single mission for a week. Somehow, Itachi had managed to wrangle you, a highly favoured ANBU candidate, a week off all duties, which you strongly missed. You'd rather risk being killed on a mission than having Mikoto forcibly dress you up every night. Itachi comes down a few minutes later, tying his headband.

"Shall we?"

You two end up at a cafe in the center of town, and order pancakes for breakfast. Looking around, you see so many normal people in the cafe that it feels like Itachi and you are the odd ones out.

"We're the only ninja in here," you say to him, a sweatdrop formulating on your brow. He merely smiles at you, and you notice a couple of girls looking at the good looking Uchiha brother and whispering behind their hands to each other. You scowl, feeling a twinge of jealousy, and sink onto the table top.

"Oh, definitely." You remember something Sasuke told you, and perk up.

"Hey, Itachi? You know, about my birthday and all that... Sasuke said that... it was your idea?" you ask, genuinely curious if all of this bother stemmed from Itachi.

"Yeah, haha. I put the idea forward and what do you know, people actually agreed with it," he says, giving you a shy smile. You hear the same couple of girls whispering from behind you, and your eyebrow twitches. The brown haired one notices and whispers to her red-head friend, and they both snigger.

"So what's this... big surprise everyone's talking about?" you ask, trying to block out the annoying girls. Itachi waves you away and leans back in his seat with his arms crossed, smiling.

"You'll find out soon enough."

"But-" You're interrupted before you can finish, and scowl as one of the two annoying girls approaches your table.

"Um, h-hi," she says awkwardly, waving. You scowl and look away, while Itachi looks up at her in interest.

"Hey," he says calmly. "Can we help you?" She awkwardly scratches her short brown hair while giving him a meek smile.

"We were- I mean, my friend Yuna and I-" she indicates to the red haired girl standing behind you," we noticed you guys a-are ninja?"

Itachi nods, and you look at the girl. Maybe she wasn't after Itachi after all.

"Of course. We don't wear these headbands just for decoration, you know," you say, trying to make a joke but instead sounding like you're chastising the poor girl. Without warning, Itachi leans forward and gently touches your hand, making you raise an eyebrow. He gives you a reassuring look before turning to the girl.

"That we are," he says, striking the perfect balance of sounding charming but not altogether flirty. You internally sigh as you see the girl's fears come true and any hope she'd had of hooking up with the good looking shinobi shattering into a thousand pieces.

"Why do you ask?" The girl awkwardly waves.

"Oh, no, no- just curious, is all," she says, giving a weak smile. "Sorry for disturbing you, enjoy the rest of your day!" She scuttles off to her friend, and they both leave the cafe, whispering and looking rather disappointed. You smirk, and lean back in your seat, satisfied.

Itachi chuckles.

"My, my, (name), you never struck me as the jealous type," he laughs lightly, looking into your eyes. Or rather, eye. You adjust your headband.

"What do you mean?" you ask, trying not to sound too obvious. He just laughs and shakes his head.

"Oh, all right, be like that. But, (name)? Can I ask you to do a favour for me?" You sit up, amused.

Itachi? Wants a favour? Ha.

"What is it?" you ask, trying not to let the smirk tugging at the corners of your mouth appear. He leans forward and lifts your headband so that it rests straight on your forehead, leaving your weird eye exposed. Your eyes widen, and he smiles lovingly.

"Better." You narrow your eyes at him, but before you can argue, a waiter approaches with your orders.

"One pancake meal for you, and one for the lady!" he says, giving you each a tray with a plate of golden pancakes stacked on it, absolutely drizzled with maple syrup. Your tray has a mug of hot chocolate, while Itachi's has a tall glass of milk.

"Enjoy!"