chapter thirteen

"EHHHHHH (NAME)!!!" You're greeted by a shriek from your aunty and narrowly duck a pan that was sent flying at your head. Sasuke, however, isn't as fortunate, and gets hit straight in the face.

"ARGH! MOTHER?!" he exclaims, clutching his face. You cautiously pick up the pan and your aunty comes storming towards you, looking very displeased.

"WHY WERE YOU OUT ON THE TRAINING FIELDS TODAY, HUH!?" she snaps. You reel away from her and lean back into Sasuke as Mikoto barrages with verbal attacks.

"I- I was just walking around!" you stutter, trying to cover up.

How does she know?! I went home and showered and everything-

"Really?! WALKING AROUND?! LIES! YOU SPARRED WITH SASUKE, DIDN'T YOU?!" she yells, a dark cloud looming over her head. You wince and leap behind Sasuke.

"M-maybe-!?" Mikoto pulls her son forward and examines his face closely. Then, she yanks him aside by the ear and points to his cheek.

"See there, eh? I see a handprint! What on earth happened?!" she snaps, twisting Sasuke's ear and making him wince. You put your hands out, trying to calm your aunty.

"It was nothing, aunty, I swear-"

"Oh it was nothing, was it? And right after I specifically instructed you not to go back to that training area! Oh god, look at his shirt -"

"I'm sorry aunty I-" Your words are cut off as she throws Sasuke back at you, grimacing. As he stumbles you hold out your arms, and he falls into them like some kind of ballerina. You both sweatdrop and cower at the sight of a furious Mikoto, holding on to one another.

"Whatever," she snaps, snatching the pan from you. "Sasuke, since Itachi and your father aren't here, and I'm still busy with the food, you'll go help (name) get dressed, you understand? I don't want any more silly antics from the two of you!"

You and Sasuke literally sprint to the guest room, afraid of Mikoto changing her mind and giving you both a good beating. As soon as you're both in, you slam the door shut in fear.

"I told you it was a bad idea!" snaps Sasuke as you walk over to the bed, face in your hands.

"I didn't know she was that serious!" you exclaim, turning back to face him.

"Ugh, whatever, just shut up so we can get you dressed," he snaps, crossing his arms. You poke your tongue out at him before looking back at the bed. This yukata lies on it, with all its bits and pieces surrounding it. You groan and flop on to the bed next to it, staring at the ceiling.

"God, if I'd known there'd be so much fuss about me turning sixteen I wouldn't be here right now," you moan, anxious after the verbal attack you'd just had from Mikoto. That and the pan. Yeah, the pan was definitely a big factor.

"Get over yourself, it's only a big thing because Itachi wanted it to be a big thing," says Sasuke with an eyeroll, sitting on the bed beside you. You groan again.

"Then why couldn't he save it for like, my eighteenth or my twenty first birthday?" you mutter, putting an arm over your face. "God that guy has issues."

"He's only doing it because he loves you," says Sasuke in a teasing way, puckering up his lips. You laugh and push him away.

"Shut up," you say, sitting up. "You're so annoying."

"Well that yukata isn't going to put itself on," he says warningly. You roll your eyes and huff.

"I'm joking, I love you," you coo, holding your hands up to your face and giving Sasuke a kissy face. He puts his hand on your face, rolling his eyes.

"Just hurry up so we can get this over and done with."

The two of you get to your feet, and begin to discuss how to put the yukata on properly. In all truth, neither of you knew what you were doing.

"I think this goes here-" Sasuke yanks something and you squeal as your abdomen is crushed and all air is taken out of your lungs.

"No, it doesn't-!"

"Stand still, (name)-"

"I would if you stopped suffocating me-"

After about fifteen minutes, the two of you manage to pull it off somehow, and all that's left to do is your hair and the obi.

"Finally!" you exclaim, lifting your arms so Sasuke can begin wrapping the obi around your delicate waist. You're much more relaxed with him than you were with Itachi, probably because you favour Sasuke more than you did his older brother. He's silent as he fixes your obi, nowhere near as advancing as Itachi. You're slightly disappointed in that fact, before shaking it out of your head and reminding yourself that you two are just friends and nothing more. You cough as he finishes tying it and steps back.

"Now, we just need to put your necklace on aaaaaaaand do your hair," says Sasuke, a sweatdrop forming on his forehead. He had absolutely no idea on how to style a girl's hair. You snort and reach out for the velvet box on the dressing table, opening it and pulling out the shimmering diamond necklace Itachi had gifted upon you days earlier. As you hand the box out to Sasuke, you blurt out.

"It was really weird how Itachi gave me the necklace, to be honest," you say, instantly regretting it as soon as the words fall from your mouth. He raises an eyebrow as he takes the necklace from you.

"How so?"

"He... he kissed me," you say blankly, as Sasuke puts the necklace around your throat. He freezes for a second, before slowly beginning to clasp the heavy choker.

"Oh?" He brushes your hair forward over your shoulder so that it doesn't get stuck in the clasp. He lets you go, and you turn around, grimacing. He smiles, and puts his hands on your shoulders, making you jolt.

"He's just a bit... forward, is all," he says with a small smile. "At least we know he genuinely likes you and really wants a chance. I don't think Itachi would let anyone hurt you, let alone himself. Go for it, (name). You've got nothing to lose."

You frown a little, and think what about you?, but nod anyway.

"... right."