chapter thirty four

"We've been staying at the Palace ever since the revolt," explains Kanoko to you and the Uchiha brothers over dinner that night. "Sensō knows that, and he doesn't care."

The eldest of the children under her care, Miyako, makes a sound of annoyance. Right now, only the five of you sat at the regal dining table, eating your dinner before Yuhi turned up with the rest of the children for their turn to eat.

"Tch. He looks down on us as if we're street rats," scowls the nineteen year old sadist, misty grey eyes filled to the brim with pure disdain. "Bastard."

"Miyako!" scolds Kanoko, glaring at her. Miyako merely shrugs and goes back to eating her dinner. You can't help but notice Itachi's gaze last upon her longer than it should have, and feel a pang of regret. The doors to the dining room open, and in walk Kanoko's thirty five year old daughter Yuhi with her two sons, Naoki and Arashi.

"Where are Haru and the younger ones?" asks Kanoko. This spurs you to eat quicker, in the hopes of clearing the table before the rest of the self proclaimed "Kanoko clan" arrive.

"On their way," says Yuhi wearily, dragging her ten and eleven year old sons to the table.

"Hello, Princess (name)!" greets the younger Naoki, beaming at you with a gap toothed smile. You grin back at him.

"You can call me (name)," you say, scraping the remnants of your dinner off your plate and into your mouth. Naoki gasps and looks up at his mother and older brother.

"Really?! I can just call the Princess (name)?!" he says in shock, awestruck. His mother shakes her head and his older brother rolls his eyes, punching him in the arm.

"Of course not, baka," he snaps. "She's just being nice. You can't just call the Princess (name)."

"But you just did."

"Why you little-"

You turn your attention back to Kanoko to thank her for dinner, and get to your feet.

"I take it you already know where your room is?" asks Kanoko, winking. You smile a little, mapping out the Palace as you remembered it in your head.

"Definitely. Thank you for letting us stay with you, Obaa-chan," you say respectfully, bowing to the elderly woman. She lets out a hearty laugh.

"Why, my dear girl! I should be thanking you for allowing me and my family to live here for all these years!"

As you exit the room, you step out into the all too familiar corridor leading to the staircase that would take you to your room on the next floor. You can tell that it's getting late, and can't help but yawn even though you'd only just woken up a few hours before.

Up the winding staircase you go, blindly leading yourself to your room in the near darkness of the hallways. As your hand feels its way down the hallway walls, you feel the door and fumble for the handle, not knowing what to expect. You couldn't remember your room as vividly as you could remember the night of the attack: however, you still saw a glimmer here and there.

At the time, you'd owned a large four poster bed, complete with curtains and a velvet like ceiling, pushed up against the wall in the center of the room. There was also a large window outward in there, which you remembered stacking your bounty of stuffed plushy animals on. As well as a grand walk-in wardrobe, desk, dressing table and bathroom en suite, you had had a special little corner of your room dedicated purely to relaxing. What was in it, you couldn't be sure of, but you could vaguely remember how calm you'd always feel after spending time in that little corner.

Of course, those were all memories. You didn't exactly know if your room would still be as it was nine years ago.

Taking a deep breath, you open your room and switch on the light on your right. The crystal chandelier that hangs above your bed illuminates the room in its crystalline glow as you take in your surroundings.

Your room is the exact same way it had been when you left it.

Well, not exactly. For one thing, someone had taken the leisure of cleaning your bed and dusting your dressing table, and cleaning any mess you had made in your attempt to flee the Palace. The door to your walk-in wardrobe is open, revealing an entirely empty closet.

Huh. Wonder if Kanoko's kids got to use my clothes.

After taking in the room as thoroughly as you can, you hit the lights and drag yourself over to your bed, ready to hit the hay. As soon as you've leapt into bed, you pull the curtains around you shut and snuggle into the familiar velveteen sheets, closing your eyes and wishing that all the drama and pain would just go away.

Just as you've fallen into a light sleep, Itachi finds his way to your bed and you feel the bed just sink as he gets in next to you.

"(name)? Are you awake?" he says softly, lying behind you. You're still in that awkward dreamy zone where you don't know what's going on and only say what you can be bothered saying.

"Mhm," is your tired answer, even though you're basically sleep talking. You feel him wrap his arms around your waist and snuggle his face into your shoulder.

"I love you," he says, voice barely a whisper. "And when I promised Miyuki to look after you, I meant it."

"Totally..." you mumble, still somewhere in la la land prancing with unicorns and eating pancakes with the legendary Sannin while betting who would win in a fight between the Fourth Hokage and a large toad.

"Is it Sasuke? Is he the reason why you were so reluctant to be with me in the first place?"

You slowly nod your head, even though you're not sure why.

"Mhm... I love you, Ita...chi..." you mumble numbly. "But... I loved... Sasuke...first..."

A dark shadow crosses Itachi's face as you confess your love for his younger brother, and his old, yandere like ways resurface.

Sasuke, Sasuke, Sasuke.

You didn't think you could get away with stealing what's mine, did you?