Chapter Twenty-Nine

Song for Chapter 29

Atlas by Coldplay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liam's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I walked into school, I adjusted the black strap on my backpack, moving it further up on my shoulder. I felt like everyone's eyes were on me. Just kind of watching me and the moves I made. I turned my attention to the tile floor beneath me, ignoring the people that passed by. As I walked down the hall, and past all the talking students, Destiny popped into my mind. I had been thinking about her and the list all morning. I didn't know whether or not I should tell her. I knew that it would be bad not to, and that she would be upset. But, it might be better if I didn't tell her. She wouldn't be as nervous and on edge, and less harm might come to her.

"Liam!" A voice said, causing me to look up. The voice scared me at first, but I soon realized that it was Mason. "Hey! Am I gonna see you at the bonfire tonight?" He asked. "Um...I'm thinking about skipping it." I said, my heart beating fast. I was more then on edge at the moment. "Your not skipping it." Mason told me sternly. "Why not?" I asked, hoping that the conversation would end soon. "Because your on the lacrosse team. Don't you have to go?" He asked me, confused. "I don't know." I started, looking down the hallway to my left.

The sight that I saw stopped my heart. I saw the creature from a few nights ago, the beserker, walking toward me. I wasn't sure if it was my imagination, or a real one. "I-I don't think I can make it." I told him, turning my attention back to him. "Your coming. And we're gonna find you a nice girl that you can embarrass yourself in front of, and find me a lacrosse player. Because statistically speaking, someone on your team, has to be on my team. Alright?" Mason told me. "I already do the embarrassing thing in front of Destiny enough, so I'm covered with that." I told him, smiling a little at the thought of Destiny. Even the thought of her managed to relax me. "What?" Mason asked again. I looked down the hall to where the beseker had been, and saw it getting closer. I had to go. "Liam?" Mason asked, my attention turning back to him. "O-okay. I'll be there." I said, before quickly walking away. I didn't know if the beseker was the real thing, or my imagination, but I wasn't going to take any chances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~¥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At lunch, I didn't sit at the usual table in the cafeteria. I didn't want to see Destiny today. Not after I had found out her name was on the list last night. Seeing her filled me with worry and fear. Although, seeing her also made me relaxed and happy. I knew, though, that if I was around her, I would let it slip that she was on the list. I didn't want to ruin her day today with that. Not when she had to focus on her school work.

As I thought, I played with a lose string on my lacrosse stick. I kept my eyes on the string, but also kept close attention to my surroundings. A footstep sound on the step behind me made me flinch, and turn my head. When I realized that it was just Scott, I turned back around, and resumed the task I had been previously doing. "Hey." Scott said, sitting down on the stair behind me. "You okay?" Scott asked me. I didn't reply. I didn't want to say no, and make him feel upset for me, but I didn't want to lie either. I had done to much of that already. "Hey." Scott said again, placing a hand on my shoulder gently. I decided to go ahead and tell him. It would be better then keeping it a secret.

"Last night, my printer went off by itself. I couldn't turn it off. I hit the cancel button, and it just kept printing." I explained to him, not looking up from the string. "Printing off what?" Scott asked. I took my hand off of the lacrosse stick, and reached into my front pocket. I removed a folded up piece of what paper, and handed the paper to him. He took it from me quickly, but at the same time, gently. The sound of the paper unfolding was the only sound in the quiet hallway. That is, until coach yelled something from his office. I glanced back at Scott, and he looked down at me. We both stood up, making our way to coaches office.