Chapter Twelve

Song for Chapter 12

Human by Christina Perri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~£~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Destiny's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~£~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liam had managed to make the night amazing so far. He had prepared dinner, set all of this up, and he had even picked a beautiful spot to have it all at. Right by where we were sitting was a meadow, where you could watch the sun setting over the hill. Liam and I were talking about what school had been like over the years for us, and just getting to know one another better. "What about middle school?" Liam asked me, shifting a little bit on the pillow he was laying on.

After he asked the question, I felt my heart drop. Middle school was a time that I didn't really like talking about with anyone. It had been a rough time for me, and I hadn't really told anyone about it. "Um..." I said, looking down at the blanket and playing with a lose string. "Its okay if you don't want to tell me. I understand." He spoke softly, causing me to look up at him. I had a feeling, though, that Liam wouldn't judge me. That he would understand. I decided that it would be okay to tell him.

Sitting up a little, I began to speak. "I hated middle school. I didn't fit in anywhere. I didn't go to a public school. I went to a private school that didn't have very many people in it at all. There weren't many girls, and they each had their own groups. I didn't exactly fit into any of them. I was sort of that one girl in the class that everyone picks on because they think it will be funny or that she's an easy target. It was just because they had found their friends, and that they thought that they knew who they were. But in reality, they were just as clueless as I was."

As I finished, I could feel a tear slip down my cheek. I quickly brushed it away, not wanting to cry in front of Liam. "Destiny..." Liam said in a soft, quiet voice. I looked up at him, another tear running down my cheek. "Please don't cry." He said, whipping the tear away. As he did, I turned my gaze back down to the blanket. "Destiny...please look at me..." He said, putting two fingers under my chin gently to try to tilt my head up. I looked up at him, a few more tears making their way down my cheek.

"Destiny, please don't cry. Your to beautiful to cry." Liam said. He brought his hand up to my cheek, gently brushing away the tears. His finger left a tingling path on my cheek. I looked up at him, my vision blurry. He wiped the water from my tears onto his jeans. "They were stupid Destiny. They were missing out on a funny, kind, amazing, talented, beautiful girl. They were most likely just jealous of you. Don't even think that its your fault, or that your not good enough, or whatever you may think. I know that I don't know them, but I'm sure that your a million times better then them in every way." He spoke softly, smiling a little after he did.

His words made a smile appear on my lips as well, and made me instantly feel better. When I was upset, it was hard for me to feel better quickly, let alone smile. He did it though, and it amazed me. "Thank you." I said, drying my eyes a little. "What about you? What was your middle school like?" I asked, looking back at him. Liam shrugged. "It was alright." He replied. "High school?" He asked. "Its going pretty good. You?" I replied. Liam looked down at the blanket, his jaw tightening a little. "Liam?" I asked, getting a little worried. "It wasn't that good in the beginning." He said, not looking up. "Oh. I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me-" "Its fine. You told me, so I'll tell you." He said, cutting me off and reverting his gaze to me.

"It was all pretty good until a few weeks ago. I was fine, and I got along okay with most people. School was great in the beginning, but that all changed." He said. "What changed?" I asked, not really understanding what he meant. "I-I didn't exactly feel like I belonged there. People began to sort of make fun of me, say hurtful things to me." Liam replied, looking down at the blanket again. "Is that why you switched schools?" I asked him.

Suddenly, Liam looked back up at me. "I have I.E.D." He said suddenly, catching me a little off gaurd. I had heard of I.E.D. before, but didn't know much about it. "Liam..." I said softly. Liam looked back down with a face full of pain. "It stands for Intermittent Explosive Disorder. It means that I get angry easily, or randomly. That's why I got angry with you so easily because of Thursday. That's why I got kicked out." "Kicked out?" I asked, once he had finished speaking. "Yes. I got kicked out of school. I got a couple red cards in lacrosse, which started the whole thing. I got angry about it, and completely destroyed my coaches car. I got kicked out of school, and they sent me for some tests. That's how I found out." He said, his voice becoming shaky at the end.

All he said made me realize that maybe this whole time, I had really been the bad one. The one who should be blamed for all of this. I didn't know, and I didn't understand. I had completely told Liam off on Monday without knowing. I quickly wrapped my arms around him, and Liam fell into them. I could hear him begin to cry a little, and I brought my hand up to gently rub his back. "Liam....Liam...its okay." I told him softly. "No its not. I was such a jerk to you and I ruined out friendship completely. I hate this." Liam said through tears, crying harder. I pulled back a little, and rested my hands on his shoulders. "Liam...look at me.." I spoke softly, which made Liam lift his head up. There were tear stains on his cheeks, and his eyes were red and puffy. I did the same thing that Liam had done to me, and wiped his tears away gently. "Liam, you didn't ruin our friendship. If anyone did, its me. I am so sorry for what I said to you. You have no reason to apologize. I should be the one doing all of this for you." I said, motioning towards the picnic he had set up. "H-how are you not upset? How are you taking this so well?" He asked, shocked.

"You can't help it Liam. Its not your fault. A condition that you have does not change the fact that I want to be friends with you Liam. Its just something extra that makes you, you. You could be a perfect boy, or you could be the most broken boy in the world. I would still want to be your friend either way. I actually prefer you the way you are now. It shows that your human, that you have feelings, that you care." I told him, looking at him. "Your the first person I've told." He said, his crying slowing down. I smiled a little at his words. "And I'm honored and so special to know that you had the guts to tell me. Your a strong boy Liam. I forgive you one hundred percent, and I still want to be your friend if you would let me do the honor of being it." I told him.

Liam wrapped his arms around me tightly, and I did the same. "Thank you so much Destiny." He said into my ear. I smiled a little, feeling tears begin to fill my eyes. "Thank you Liam." I replied, holding onto him tightly.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~£~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Diary,

I learned so much today. The main thing I learned, is that I might be the one to blame for the fight that Liam and I had. This is because I found out that he had I.E.D. Its a disorder that causes you to have violent outbursts quickly, or to get very angry easily. I didn't know that he had this disorder when I went off on him on Monday. If I had, I wouldn't of been as rude as I was. I just feel awful and horrible about what I did. The good thing, though, is that we have forgiven each other, and we're back to being friends now. I told him my story, and he told me his. At the moment, everything is fine.

~Destiny