37

ASA'S P.O.V

I paced back and forth in the hallway, surrounded by people walking in and out of every room. The smell of bleach and devastation filled the air. I kept wiping my tears from under my glasses as my pacing got faster. I can't lose her, not like this. I kept saying to myself. I wanted the doctor to come back, but at the same time I didn't-for I was afraid of what his answer for me would be. 

I took a seat on the edge of a chair as I looked down at the person's shoes who sat next to me. They were wearing Dr. Martens. Maya loves her Dr. Martens, I thought to myself. I went deep into thought as the Doctor walked in.

"Mr. Butterfield, she's in very critical condition. She doesn't have much time. Please come in and see her." I rushed into the room where she was. I felt my heart completely drop as I saw her laying on that bed with wires, injections and an oxygen mask over her face. Her eyes were bruised and her head was wrapped with a white bandage. That smile that made my heart beat just a little faster was gone and those eyes that shined brighter than any star in the sky were closed. Her heart rate on the monitor was going slow, and I could hear myself desperately saying 'come on,' forcing it to speed up- even though I knew I couldn't.

I reached over and grabbed her hand. Her skin feeling colder and more pale than I've ever seen it. I felt a slight grasp on my hand.

"Maya, please fight through this. You're the best thing thing that has ever happened to me and in this amount of time that we've known each other, you gave me the type of love and adventure that words cannot explain. We were supposed to go to the police, remember Maya? We can start a new life together-  we wouldn't have to run away from anyone anymore. We can travel, w-we can go to school and move in together. I can't let you die, Maya. Please stay. I love you. So much." I broke down completely.

I looked up at her and noticed a tear stream down her face and her lips very slightly started to quiver. I felt her grasp my hand tighter as I gently leaned over to kiss it. I suddenly felt her gently letting go of my hand as I quickly looked at the heart monitor.

 After 3 very slow beats, it stopped completely. 

 Maya was gone.