28

"What- what do you mean?" 

"I mean, they're looking for you. You're wanted for questioning."

"Wait how do you know this?" I tried to talk as soft as I could so no one could hear me.

"Maya, I saw on the news. He's all over the news and now you are too. Where are you?"  

Do I trust her? What if the police are in on this too with her? What if I tell her and police show up to our hotel tomorrow?

"I have to go Isabella I'll call you later."

"Wait Maya I-" I hung up before she could finish.

I come back to the table and Asa was signing our check for us to leave.

"We're leaving already?" I laughed. 

"Yeah, lets go back to our hotel. I need to talk to you." 

He was silent the whole ride back. His phone buzzed once, God I wanted to check his phone so bad. I just wanted to grab it from his lap and scroll through his texts. Is he talking to some girl? Why would he do that when he has me? I mean I know we aren't dating but-

"Let's go." He rushed out of the car and went up to our room. He slammed the door. I had never seen him this angry. 

"Okay I don't know what the fuck you're mad about-"

"The phone calls, the interruptions at the cafe, the weird nervousness you get whenever I ask who you're talking to on the phone or who you're texting. And all of it happening when I'm trying to tell you something IMPORTANT? Do I not matter to you anymore Maya? Am I just your pet now? Who else could you possibly have?"

I was speechless, furious, confused, upset, and everything in between.

"What the fuck are you talking about? Why would I be talking to anyone else while I'm trying to get AWAY from everyone? With you?"

"Okay then today who the hell were you talking to when you 'went to the bathroom'? You think I didn't see that?"

I froze, trying as hard as I could to hold back tears. 

"You want to know who I was talking to, Asa? It was Isabella. And you want to know WHAT she told me, and what she's been telling me this whole time? They're LOOKING for me Asa. They found Jake's phone and the FBI is looking for me! I'm officially wanted for questioning. And I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want you to worry. I didn't want you to leave just like everyone else always does in my life. " Tears just kept gushing out of my eyes. He wanted to speak but I cut him off. I stepped closer to him.

"Now, you tell me. Who are you talking to? The phone calls in the morning? Your phone going off every five fucking minutes? You suddenly wanting to go to Sacramento?  Who is it Asa. Who. Is. It? 

He threw his phone at me. "Here, read it. Read all of it. I have nothing to hide, Maya! I wanted to go to Sacramento so you can meet some of my friends there and we wouldn't have to spend money ratting out in one hotel after another when we could stay with them for free and actually have a good time!" He was about to burst. His face was redder than ever.

I scrolled through the texts. He wasn't lying. 

"Then what have you been trying to tell me Asa? What is it? I know there's something. If you want to leave and-"

He grabbed me by my shoulders. And all it took were three simple words.

 I love you. Okay? There. I love you, and only you. Ever since the-"

"Wait, what?  You love me? Asa how could someone like you ever love someone like-"

"Because I do. I love the way you take authority. I love the way you walk so smooth but so fast that I could barely catch up with you sometimes. I love the way you light your cigarette first and then put it in your mouth. I love your love for the color black. You're fucking chaotic and gorgeous and everything else, and I fell in love with all of it."

Another rush of tears formed in my eyes. I was speechless. So, I did what Maya would do. 

I grabbed him by his jacket and pulled him closer. Our lips touched for the first time ever.