5

The next day I woke up to a text from my mom.

Mom: Good morning! The apartment complex is throwing a party out by the pool for the residents. I want you to go! 

What makes her think I wanted to go to that? I quickly gave her a call.

"Hi mom. I'm not going."

"Hey sweetie! Did you hear about the party?"

"No because I don't-"

"Just go, it will be a good way for you to make some new friends!"

"Mom I don't need anymore f-"

"Just go, you'll like it. Its tonight. I'll call you later!"

"Fine, bye mom."

I rolled my eyes and laid back into my bed. 

******LATER THAT DAY******

I got out of the shower, dried my hair and tied it back. I got my liquid black eyeliner and drew a thin line on both my eyes. I put on some red lipstick and tied my hair into a bun.

I slapped on my clothes, grabbed my backpack and headed out the door towards the elevator.

I walked into the pool area to Drake blasting through the speakers. There was a long table full of snacks, foods and drinks. 

More people were there than I had expected. There were people lounging in the jacuzzi and in the pool while others were standing around mingling with drinks in their hands.

I headed over to the table and grabbed a can of Coke. I grabbed a cancer stick and sat by the pool. 

How exciting, I could've been doing this inside my own house. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. It was Asa.

"Hey." He gave me a warm smile. 

"Oh thank goodness you're here." 

"I thought I'd check it out. I was hoping to see you here, I mean I saw your room light off so I-" He stopped, his eyes quickly scanning left to right.

"Um, what? My room?" I chuckled.

"Uh, do you want some more soda?" He said hesitantly, giving a nervous laugh.

"No, I'm fine." He gave me a puzzled look. 

"So Maya, tell me more about yourself. Do you- smoke regularly?"

I turned to him. "What you see here is all that there is to know. And it depends on what your definition of regularly is, sir."

"No there's not, there's more! Your silence speaks thousands of words!" He excitedly said. 

"And also, smoking is bad for you, so why are you doing it?"

"Who cares? It's not like I'll be immortal if I don't. We all die anyways, right?"

He tried to give a slight, warm smile. "Well, sure. That is one way to look at it."

I noticed myself getting pulled into it. It was so warm and made his eyes light up. 

I zoned myself back in when I received a text from Jake. 

Jake: Maya is this a good time to call you?

"Fuck off!" I heard myself say. 

"What's wrong?" Asa curiously asked.

"Oh, sorry it's nothing." I smiled.

"So Maya, what grade are you in?" He asked.

"I graduated high school last year, moved out here, and here I am." I put out my cigarette.

"Oh! That's cool. Do you go to college?"

"Nope, my mom wanted me to try out this whole acting school thing. She thinks it'll keep me from getting into 'bad habits.'

"Bad habits? Are you a rebel or something?" He asked.

"No, I just- see the world differently than others." I started to get up and brushed off the back of my pants. 

"Enough about me. Let's talk about you." I ask him.

"I just moved to this side of town not too long ago after graduating high school. I'm taking acting classes until I find out what I want to do in life!" He told me with much enthusiasm.

"Well Asa, from how you light up when you mention acting and how well you did in class, I think you know what you want to do in life." I chuckled. 

"I wish! Being a movie star sounds like a dream." 

"Then wake up and make it happen." I smiled at him. 

We spent a good hour lounging by the jacuzzi and he watched me devour at least 3 plates of Doritos nacho cheese chips until it was finally time to leave. 

"As fun as this night was, I should get going. I'll catch you later." I got up and dusted off the back of my pants from sitting on the floor.

"Wait!" Asa grabbed my hand. I felt my heart pound. 

Why was I feeling this way?

"What is your number?" He smiled.

"(313) 324-8945" I dialed it into his phone and waved.