16

I rush to the phone to call Asa.

He picks up with his sleepy voice "Hello? Are you okay Maya?"

I try to hold back, but fail miserably. "No actually."

"What? Whats wrong? Do you want me to come over there?"

" I-I just killed Jake. You might want to come over."

"Y-you WHAT?" I hear him panicking. 

I try speaking through my sobbing "He came in here wi-with a bat and I hid in the closet with a knife and he was after you b-but aa-attacked me too, so I  stabbed him, hes still i-in my room." I sniff.

"I will be right there. Do not move.

______

Asa sits there, staring over Jake's dead body. I sit next to him with bloodshot red eyes.

"Oh man, Maya what do we do?"

"I- I don't know should we call the police?"

"No. No one will find out about this."

"Then what do we do? We can't hide him in the dumpster, someone will find him. My fingerprints are on him." 

Asa paces back and forth. I sit there and watch him. Too awake to blink. Too tired to cry. 

"I-I have an idea." I say. "We can wrap him in a trash bag and take him out into the  Harbor and throw his body in there. 

"Do you have a boat?"

"My dad has one, he leaves it here. I have the keys in the drawer."

"Then lets do it! Grab a garbage bag and I'll wipe the blood stains off of him and clean up this knife. We can burn those later."

I get up and grab three garbage bags. Asa helps me lift him up as we open the bags and place Jake's lifeless, blood drying, decomposing body into the bags.

 I nearly slip on the bag and Asa catches me. We lock eyes for a couple of seconds and I almost zoned out. 

"Uh-m we should uh tie the ends of the bags so he doesn't fall out."  Trying to change the subject. 

We take the bag out into the harbor, dump it in there, and drive the boat right back.

We head up to my room. 

"I can stay here with you tonight." Asa insisted. 

"Can you please?" I ask. 

He smiles and nods as I grab a fresh pillow and pillowcase and set it next to my bed. 

"You can sleep here too." I show him his side of the bed.

"Oh are you sure? i can sleep on the couch."

"You helped me hide a dead body of a guy that I killed. You deserve my whole life." 

I change back into my tank top and shorts and climb in bed. 

"I'm so sorry, for this. He was after you and I lost it. I don't even know what to-" I nearly start to sob as he puts his hand on my mouth and wipes my tears. 

"Maya, stop. You were saving me. Don't even worry. I'm here for you." He puts a strand of my hair behind my ear and pats on my pillow. "Now sleep."

I smile and turn off the lamp, slowly dozing off.