27

I woke up the next morning to my arm hitting a bare pillow next to me. Asa wasn't there, and the bathroom light was off, which was highly unusual. Where did he go?

The curtains were closed, but I heard mumbling coming from the balcony which was definitely Asa's voice. I peeked from the corner and Asa was on the phone with someone. Was it the same person he was texting? 

I quickly closed the curtain before he could see me and went back into bed, pretending like nothing had happened. 

He stepped back in and told me good morning. 

"Hey, who was that on the phone?" I bluntly asked. 

"Oh, it was just a friend, checking up on me." He gave a half smile as he closed the hanging, heavy curtains back shut, barely exposing any natural sunlight into the room.

"So what's the plan for today?" I could tell he was attempting to change the subject. 

"I don't know, do you have anything planned for us?"

"Actually, I do. Let's go to the Google Complex."

"The what?"  I gave him the most disinterested look, mostly because I had no idea what he was talking about. 

"You're joking, right? You seriously don't know what that is?"

"I don't! Oh my God Asa come on do I look like someone who would?" We both laughed, but he ended up agreeing with me.

"Trust me, it's a cool place. Oh and Maya, do you think we should leave this town? I really want for us to head to Sacramento." 

"Sacramento? What the hell are we going to do there? I thought you liked it here." I was completely puzzled. San Francisco was Asa's idea.

"I know, but it's time for a change for us. Let's go over there and see what happens. It's really not that far from here."

"Okay it's not about the distance it's just weird that you'd want to go there, that's all. We can leave tomorrow morning." I was about to lose it. I wanted to know exactly what was going on with him. Was he meeting someone there? 

We did our normal cafe routine and headed towards the Google Complex. 

"Here we are. This is the place where all of the magic of Google happens." He was so excited, I loved it. He explained everything along the way. Watching him geek out like this was the cutest thing. His interest was so contagious that I caught myself being interested as well and thinking how all of these years I have missed knowing about extraordinarily important places like the damn Google Complex. 

We left about an hour later, and headed back towards our hotel. We stopped at a small sandwich shop right near it. 

"So how did you like it?" He seemed so eager.

"It actually was pretty cool. I enjoyed it a lot."

He smiled. I just had remembered that Asa had been trying to tell me something for a while and never got to it. 

"Asa, remember that other day when you wanted to tell me something and I got a phone call during it? What was it that you wanted to say?"

Asa paused and his smile slowly straightened out. 

"Oh I- I just wanted to tell you how much fun I'm having with you. I thought you should know. " His eyes were wandering and he looked more nervous than ever.

"Are you sure? You know you can tell me anything." I was genuinely concerned, not sure if I should be worried or not. 

He nodded and promised that was all it was, but I didn't quite buy it.

I headed toward the bathroom when I got a phone call- it was Isabella. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey, remember when I told you how they were looking through Jake's phone? Well, they found your name as one of the most recent people he had contacted."