26

I woke up the next morning to Asa drawing the curtains. The sun's rays beamed in my face, almost as if the sun was trying to tell me good morning. 

"Oh you're up!" Asa turned to me. He ran over to give me a hug, which was unusual to me.

"Yeah, I am unfortunately." I responded in the sleepiest voice. I turned to my nightstand, where I would usually kept my cigarettes, but they weren't there. I hadn't smoked in a hot minute, and I was proud of myself

"I have an idea. Let's go to the Golden Gate Bridge after we get some breakfast. He was already changing his clothes. 

"Is that what you want to do?" As Golden as the gate was, it was honestly the last thing on my list, but I had to listen to Asa at least one time. 

We quickly got dressed and went to a nearby cafe. Asa got a croissant with a cappuccino and I ordered a cheese danish with a vanilla latte. 

I kept checking my phone like a paranoid junkie after what Isabella had said. I kept thinking that any minute, someone will tell me they saw my picture on the news and rat me out. 

But the funny thing was, the only time my phone went off, was when either my mother or Isabella called or texted me. It made me realize how much my "friends" really didn't care about me. Those people who said they were there for me, or said they would be. Where were they now? 

I brushed it off. I started a new life, just Asa and I and Isabella's texts occasionally-and I was so content with it.

"Ready to go, redhead?" Asa teased. We called an Uber and headed towards The Golden Gate Bridge. 

It was a long walk from the parking lot all the way to the other side of the Golden Gate- and back. 

I stopped halfway and took a step on the railings, looking down. 

"Wow, it's quite a long way down. Do you think if someone jumped, they'd die halfway before hitting the ground?" I was actually curious, but Asa didn't take it that way. 

"Maya, either way, you're not gonna fucking find out. Let's keep walking."

"Oh come on, it was just a joke." 

I noticed he was texting someone on his phone. I tried seeing who it was, but I couldn't read the contact name. He typed something, and quickly locked his phone. Now, I was getting curious.

 We talked the rest of the way walking back, but I couldn't stop thinking about who that person was. Why would he lock his phone so quickly?

We went to a nearby park and lay a blanket down. A cold breeze gently ran across my face. I turned over to Asa and he gave a smile and turned back. 

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Really? I don't remember if you've ever asked me that question." 

"Damn okay, I just wanted to know. You seem- out of it." I was worried.

"What, I can't lay back and enjoy the weather?" He teased.

"Okay, but now you can't say I don't care about you."  

We had fallen asleep. I quickly woke up and noticed the sun had already set. I looked around and there were only 3 other people left besides us at the park. 

"Asa, wake up! Let's go." I shook him.

"What?" He responded in a raspy, sleepy voice.

"We fell asleep, we have to go it's getting dark." 

He woke up, frantically checking his phone. He was reading texts and played it off as if he was checking the time. "You're right is getting late, let's head back."

"I want some Taco Bell. Also, let's stop at a gas station, I need some water." We called an Uber grabbed dinner and headed towards the nearest gas station.

I told him I'll step out and go grab them and asked if he needed anything. He shook his head no. 

I walked in, the gas station was pretty sketchy. I went to the drinks section and grabbed a lemon-lime cucumber gatorade and a big bottle of water. I went to the cashier and saw the shrine of cigarettes on her wall. It was so tempting, especially now after I started accusing of Asa talking to someone else-even though we weren't dating.

"Is that all for you, ma'am?" The cashier asked, not even looking at me.

"Um- actually, add a pack of Marlboro short 100's." I know, I couldn't resist. 

She scanned that first and handed it to me. I quickly put it in my pocket. I grabbed my items and went back in the car, not saying a word to Asa on the way back to the hotel.