Chapter Forty-Nine

Mary Jane's POV.

"Yeah. I'm his uncle, you can say that but he's just adopted and I want to pretend that I never know him, and I know he doesn't know me.."

He's starting to play with the gun he is holding which made me more scared.

"...I just want justice. Kidnapping you is the only way because the Marquez is now so close to you, specially to that damn Sebastian. Once I kill one of them, the pleasure is mine."

"Hey, you're taking too long. We should kill this girl already." the guy said and he stare at him blankly.

...then pulled the trigger which alarmed everyone outside.

My eyes widened and police officers and swats rushed inside the warehouse. Things are so fast.

Why did he shoot him?

Someone grab me gently and slowly took me inside an ambulance.

My mind was like a void because of what I just witnessed.

-

"M-Mary Jane..."

I slowly lift my head up and went back at staring on the blanket. It's Stephen. I want to talk to anyone but I can't. As if the incident earlier took all my voice, to not discuss to anyone about it, I wish I can, but I wish my memory was lost, not my words.

"She's been quiet. The doctor said that she should rest and she'll have a therapy soon once she can talk. She have been through a lot." I heard Beatrice said.

I sighed and laid back at the pillow behind me, still staring at no where.

"W-Where's Sebastian? Officer Stones said that he's here." Destiny asked

"U-uhm.. Y-Yeah.. He was but I handcuffed him inside the car he stole to get here." Stephen answered

"Tsk. Well, uh.. A-Are you still going to take away Mary Jane from him? from us?"

I froze and I slowly lift my head up again, stare at the people I care so much.

"From what happened? Yes, of course once she's okay, I'll take her with me."

As Stephen finished his sentence, they all looked at me with all those pity-looking eyes.

"D-Do you think she can understand us?"

"Of course, stupid. Her mental state was shocked and she's traumatized. I hope she'll be okay."

I sighed and finally rest my head on the soft pillow and slowly closed my eyes.

~

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

It was my stepdad and my mom, embracing each other inside their room. It was the only good memory of them.

"M-Mary Jane, hi there, sweetie."

My Mom then noticed me. I was not that little back then, it was the age when children start to rebel.

I walked towards them then he gave me a weird smile which made me uncomfortable.

"Your daddy will take good care of you while I'm gone. I'm going to buy you presents, what do you want?" she said and held my arms and enthusiastically lean on a little closer to me

"I-I want... I want my real Daddy back." As I said those innocent words, I rushed inside my room and locked my door. I listen closely to what they say since my room is only closer to them.

"It's fine, she'll get used to it. Talk to her often, share the things you like, okay? For now, I'll go to work."

"Okay. Be safe, please." he said in a very very sweet voice, it's not even obvious the lie on his tone.

After a minute of silence raging knocks startled my little body.

"DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO BEAT YOU UP, HUH?!"

~

"M-Mary Jane.."

I quickly got up and my chest is pounding hard, dew drops of my sweat are all over my face. Worried Stephen is what I saw.

"A-Are you okay?" he said, really really worried about me. I'm also worried about what's happening to me.

No words came out to respond.

I just stare at him whilst still panicking.

"H-Hey, Hey. It's okay, it's okay. I'm here. Stephen's here. I'll take care of you. I'm here." he said and hugged me which made me cry because of affection, sadness and hatred. It's all heavy inside my chest and I don't know what to do.

~Next Day

I didn't slept at all since what happened earlier.

I was scheduled to attend a therapy for my trauma-which is done, and now we're heading to jail.

That step dad of mine wasn't that bad at all, in fact, he's just like Sebastian. For him, his light on his dark path is my mom. But because of his love and selfishness, he committed murder.

Mom changed him. That's all I can think of.

"Do you want to see Sebastian?" I jolted and glanced at Stephen.

"I.. Uh.." I started and he was surprised, like a Mom first hearing their baby's first words.

"W-would you let me?" I asked

"Yeah, of course. Good thing that therapy really worked." he chuckled then continued focusing on road

I glanced at both of my arms which is now bandaged properly due to bruises and cuts. It was like hell, it always been.

"Do you.. Do you want to leave him for a while?" he asked, out of the blue

I've been thinking about it too. I don't know why I have to think about it. I feel like I'm being selfish again.

"Let's see.." I said shortly

"No matter what your answer is, I still need you to take away from them. It's not safe. Well, we can visit but not as often. I'll enroll you to a safer school. You have to focus more to your future, and if you are planning to be with Sebastian, you need to focus more to yourself. It's not being selfish, self-love is never selfish. You know that you need to grow more as individuals. Just a reminder, in case I can change your mind."