✰ THIRTY NINE - THE FIRST DOMESTIC ✰

" you look so cool when you're reading me "

LENA'S fingers drummed against the dining table as she sat on the chair at the left side of the head of the table. Klaus was leaning against that chair, eyes narrowed at his girlfriend as she used one hand to flip through the book she was reading. They were waiting for Elijah and their guest of honour - who Lena assumed was Freya - to arrive. Lena was also really bored because the wolves had all gone to hang out in the bayou, including Hayley and Jackson.

"There you are, finally!" Klaus exclaimed, letting out a sigh of relief. Lena's head shot up and she tucked dark hair behind her ears as she grinned at Elijah, glad that he had finally arrived. She wanted this meeting to be over and done with so that she could go and hang out with Rebekah.

"I was delayed," Elijah told them, swinging off his jacket as one of the many people who worked for the Mikaelson's, i.e were compelled by them to do whatever they asked, laid down a plate of beignets in front of Lena. She was quick to grab one.

"Our guest of honour will be here momentarily," said Klaus, grinning at his older brother.

"Strange," Elijah hummed, coming to stand beside Lena. He squeezed her shoulder gently in greeting. "The house is conspicuously absent of our lupine guests, I do hope it wasn't on my account."

"Don't become as narcissistic as your siblings, 'Lijah," joked Lena. Elijah grinned at the sparkle in her eye when she smirked at Klaus, noticing the way he rolled his eyes at her antics.

"I sent Hayley and her husband off to spend the day with their werewolf brethren to test the limits of their new abilities," explained the hybrid, making his way over to the door to see if their guest had arrived. "Leaving me to deal with family business as I see fit."

"Niklaus, Rebekah's situation has taken a turn," Elijah finally admitted. Lena suddenly straightened in her seat, her second beignet falling out of her hand as Klaus spun around. Both of them looked worried. "We may need Freya's assistance, so whatever you're planning here, don't."

"All I'm planning is a simple chat with a long-lost relative, you said yourself to hear her out."

"And you said yourself that would be idiocy," argued back Elijah, not caring for his brother's coyness.

"Did I?" Klaus asked rhetorically, glancing up as though really thinking about it. "Well, that does sound like me," he smirked at Lena, but she was too busy thinking about Rebekah and the situation she could be in to even notice his words.

"What's wrong with Bex?" Lena suddenly asked Elijah, glancing up at him with eyebrows furrowed.

"I will explain later," he promised her, his hand leaning over to brush the hair out of her much paler face at the prospect of Rebekah being in danger. "Now about our other sister--" but Klaus cut him off.