✰ THIRTEEN - THE FOUR STAGES ✰

" i'm bigger than these bones "

IN the drawing room, Lena sat beside Hayley, eyebrows furrowed at the sheets of paper formed perfectly on the table to create the beautiful shape of a woman's face. When Lena had walked in that morning in search of Hayley (she had wanted beignets and knew Hayley liked them too) she had caught sight of the drawings and had asked Elijah - who had seemed unable to take his eyes off them - who she was.

Hayley had then told Lena that the woman was called Celeste, and she had been an old love of Elijah's and she was their next villain.

"The Italians call them Strega, the Yoruba of West Africa call them Aje - meaning mother - where my mother was from, they called them Hexa and here we call them witch," Elijah had started. "Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city, there's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina."

Lena gulped, but the action went unnoticed by the vampire and pregnant werewolf in the room. Davina wasn't the only all-powerful witch, for Lena had all the power of her ancestors flowing inside of her. She just wasn't allowed to spread the information.

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection," Klaus' voice brought Lena out of her own head, and she glanced up at him. She was still a little mad at him for trying to poison Davina, but a part of her had forgiven him and that part of her allowed him to ruffle her hair as he passed. "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil according to our volatile artist in residence."

"Yes, perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power," Elijah said in that calmingly slow voice of his. His words were even softer than usual though and it was obvious that the death of his old flame had struck a chord in him. "Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day but she's been dead for over two hundred years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?"

"Why does any witch do anything?" asked Klaus, lowering himself to sit next to Lena. She glared, jokingly, at him and he only grinned back with that crooked grin she couldn't bring herself to hate.

Suddenly they heard a crash and Lena's head shot over. It came from Davina's room. Marcel must have been in there. The only person Davina was talking to was Lena, everyone else was an enemy.

"Well, that's going well," joked Klaus.

"Shut up," groaned Lena, rolling her eyes at the hybrid beside her. "She's obviously hurt by what you did and you certainly aren't helping manners by keeping her locked up in here!" she snapped at him, crossing her arms over her chest. Out of the corner of her eye, Lena saw Hayley smirk to herself. "You're trying to win her trust, right?" Klaus nodded, frowning a little. "Well, you failed, woohoo! Poisoning her one true love was really not the best idea, you absolute moron!"