✰ THIRTY FIVE - PANIC! AT THE PIZZERIA ✰

already choking on my pride, so there's no use crying about it "

AIDEN and Lena trudged through the French Quarter. The sun had risen in the sky. It wasn't even midday and already a drunk had stumbled past them, almost caving their head in with the sidewalk. Both had just walked past, muttering to each other about their lives. Both of them held steaming cups of coffee from a small hole-in-the-wall coffee joint in their hands, allowing it to heat them up.

Lena had changed from the outfit that had been stuck on her body for what felt like months. Her favourite knitted dress now hung from her shoulders, and her feet were warm in her dark brown boots. Aiden had gladly sat in the courtyard of the compound while she had changed, and then they had gone out onto the streets of the French Quarter to start their search for Marcel and his clan.

"So, you grew up with Klaus and Elijah's sister?" Aiden asked, leading the way across the road and almost getting them knocked over by a green Mini. The werewolf flipped them off.

"Yeah, she's pretty much like my mom," replied the witch, watching a mother and her daughter walk past them, the two of them laughing at some shared nostalgia. Lena missed Rebekah. She needed to find her.

"And now you're dating her brother?"

"The Mikaelson's are really rather complicated."

"That's an understatement!"

They both laughed, the sound ringing through the busy French Quarter. Their laughter was drowned out by the monotonous drone of cars charging down the streets of New Orleans, the rubble of children shouting at each other through the hustle and bustle, the ever playing music that swept through the air. This was the French Quarter in all it's finery.

Suddenly, Aiden got a text from Davina, telling him to meet her at Lafayette Cemetery with the order of getting anything of Josh' that he could. He shared a look with Lena, knowing that the young witch would be able to find Marcel and his other vampires.

"Are you gonna come with or...?" Aiden tailed off, shoving his hands back into his pockets.

"No, I'll get Lottie to help me here, it'd be best." Aiden nodded, glancing around. "You should go, Vina doesn't like to be kept waiting." Aiden nodded again and turned away from her. Lena felt her shoulders fall as she turned from him and began to walk down the street, wrapping her arms around herself.

"WAIT! LENA!" the witch spun around at the shout and the next thing she knew, Aiden was barrelling into her, pulling her into a tight hug. She couldn't help but smile, feeling comforted by the warmth that radiated from the werewolf. Lena squeezed him tighter, allowing numbness to wash over her, allowing herself to forget everything that she was going through in that second. In that hug, Rebekah was not missing, Elijah was not crazy, Kol was not a backstabbing bitch, Hayley was not about to spill the secret of her child to Jackson. In this hug, everything was safe.