✰ THIRTY THREE - HUNGRY, HUNGRY HIPPOS ✰

" I scream too loud when I speak my mind "

"It has been said that all love begins and ends with she who gave us life. A thousand years ago, my mother turned us into monsters, yet still, she claimed to love her children, even as she vowed to destroy us. The noble Elijah, tormented by long-buried shameful secrets. Kol, the wily troublemaker out for no one but himself. Finn, the devoted acolyte, his love all too easily warped by our mother's sick hate. Fierce Rebekah willing to risk everything on the chance that she might one day find happiness. And me, the bastard child, my mother's greatest shame. Now, finally, we have defeated her giving her the choice she never thought to give us, to live on as one of the monsters she created or suffer the slow agonising death she so deserves."

"I am so glad that I didn't want to listen to any music on that agonisingly long car ride," Lena muttered sarcastically as she slammed the passenger door behind her.

"Congratulations, I guess," Cami shrugged at Lena, who had just come round the side of the Jeep to get to her and Klaus, as she spoke. "But right now, I'm a little more worried about Finn considering I totally stabbed him in the back."

"He won't find you here," Klaus promised Cami. Lena smiled up at the white house in which she had spent the night with Rebekah, Hope and Elijah. The night before Klaus and Hayley got to meet their daughter for the first time in five months. The night before everything changed. "This is the safest place you could possibly be. Come on, there's someone I want you to meet."

Klaus took his girlfriend's hand and they made their way up to the house. Lena couldn't help but think that it had been a full day since she and Rebekah were sitting on that front porch with Hope, watching the sun rise over the beautiful mountain range in the distance.

"I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family."

"The little troublemaker all the fuss has been about," joked Lena, squeezing Klaus' hand tightly. Everytime he thought of or spoke about his daughter since he had met her, his lips would widen into the brightest grin she had ever seen on his face. It was beautiful.

"Camille--" the door opened from behind them as Klaus spoke, and Lena turned around to grin at hayley with Hope in her arms. "--this is Hope."

"Oh my god," Cami breathed out, causing Lena to let out a breath of laughter as Klaus' arm wrapped around her. Thoughts of Rebekah being unsafe in somebody else's body were flying around in the back of her mind, but just the sight of a smiling Hope was enough to ease the nerves in her gut for the time being. "But I--you said--I thought she was--"

"The only way to truly protect her was to convince the world of her death," explained the Original hybrid, unable to tear his eyes away from his daughter.