✰ THIRTY ONE - ADDAMS FAMILY REUINION ✰

" oh, you make me feel so weak "

SITTING with Hope on her lap, Lena watched Elijah. Rebekah was outside the house, hanging up a Christmas wreath. Elijah was silent, staring out of the window, probably battling his own guilt at what he had done to those innocent diner folk.

"Well isn't this place lovely?" mused Rebekah as she entered the sitting room. She and Lena had changed since setting up here during the night and allowing Elijah a must comfier bed than the trunk of their jeep. Lena's favourite knitted tights were perfect for Hope's tiny hands to play with without ripping them, and they also looked very pretty with the tartan skirt and grey turtleneck that she wore.

"Nik must have compelled a wine lover to keep it up, because I found a 2005 Bordeaux, fancy a sip?" Rebekah asked her brother as she fell down onto the couch beside her best friend and baby niece, tickling Hope's neck as she did so to make the baby girl smile.

"Appreciate the sentiment, Rebekah, but I do recognize when I'm being handled with kid gloves," shot back Elijah, not turning from the window. Lena couldn't help but wonder if he was itching for Hayley and Klaus to turn up. She definitely was.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, bouncing Hope on her knee.

"Patronised," answered the Original, finally spinning around to face the three on the couch. Lena and Rebekah shared unimpressed looks before turning those looks onto Elijah. "I am here to protect you."

"I know you mean to," replied Rebekah.

"Yet you found it necessary to render me unconscious before bringing me here."

"Well, you weren't yourself and I needed to get us out of that diner. What happened back there?" Rebekah asked her brother, crossing one of her long legs over the other. Lena had tried the entire night to get the image of the dead civilians out of her head, but she couldn't. The blood was still bright red in her head.

"I don't know," Elijah froze for a second, eyes stuck on his niece cooing to her hearts content on Lena's lap. She was playing with Lena's necklace, even putting the pendant in her mouth to suck on before Lena would bat it away from her and then she would repeat the cycle. "Niklaus sent me to protect Hope, my job is to keep her safe."

Elijah frowned as he sat down on the armchair beside the couch that the three females were sat on. Lena handed Hope over to Rebekah as she moved to sit on the arm of the chair that Elijah took as his own. Her hand moved over to his shoulder, giving it a tight squeeze.

"You can still help us keep her safe," she told him, nodding sincerely. Elijah smiled up at her and she pushed herself to her feet. "Now come on, Bex told me that we've got a bonfire to set up and I have a particular love for bonfires."