✰ TWENTY THREE - PUTTING THE FUN IN FUNERAL ✰

" just running from the demons in your mind "

NIGHT had fallen across the land. The midnight hour had long passed. Lena could only feel warmth as she snuggled into the body beside her, her mind overplaying the memories that she and Klaus had just made.

And then she heard the gasp and her eyes flew open to see Klaus sat up, eyes wide, panting in fear. Sweat had spotted at his forehead and she couldn't help but furrow her eyebrows at his state. Had he had a nightmare?

"Klaus?" she whispered into the still, night air. He glanced down at her. His eyes were filled with terror and dread. She had never seen him so scared before. His hands were trembling as he gripped the duvet. "What did you see?"

As she sat up, she ran her hand up his arm. He let out a sigh at her soft touch, and seemed to move into her hand as it came up to cup his cheek. She let a small smile tug at her lips as he kissed the palm of her hand.

"Nothing," he lied, his own arm moving across the bed to wrap around Lena's waist and pull her closer. They had stayed up for hours just talking and kissing every so often. Now Klaus could kiss her, he was taking every chance he had to do so. But they were meant to be asleep, it was Father Kieran's funeral in the morning and they both had to be there for Cami. If they were too tired, they would ruin it for her.

"For being ancient, you're a shit liar." Klaus let out a breath of laughter, burrowing his head into the crook of Lena's neck. He felt her sigh as her own arms snaked around his shoulders, pulling him into a hug. "Tell me," she ordered, voice soft and gentle.

"We were at the funeral," Klaus began to explain as they untangled themselves from one another to lay across from each other. Klaus did particularly love staring into Lena's eyes. They were such a beautiful shade of brown. "When I opened Father Kieran's casket, I saw...a baby, I think it was supposed to be my baby." Klaus' voice tightened and he took a deep breath to console himself. Now he had someone to talk to. Now he had Lena. "I went to pick her up, but then someone shoved a stake right through my heart and when I turned around it was my father."

Lena let out a tiny gasp. It would have been inaudible to human ears. Klaus let his eyes close at the sound that rang through his ears. Why did she have the power to make him feel so at ease and yet so tense at the same time?

"And then you woke up?" Klaus nodded and felt Lena's arms around him again. He wasn't surprised. Her hugs were becoming less of a surprise to him and more something that he looked forward to. They were safe.

"Don't worry, your father isn't back and you'll be a wonderful dad," was all she had to say. It was all she could say, because seconds later, when Klaus opened his eyes, she was fast asleep, tiny snores emitting from her body. He grinned to himself, pulling her closer and pressing a kiss to the top of her head.