✰ SEVENTEEN - BABYSITTING THE DEVIL ✰

" and I swear I hate you when you leave  "

LENA was in Klaus' bedroom while the hybrid himself lay shaking and muttering in his bed. His body temperature had skyrocketed and even though Lena wanted to hate him, she couldn't help but take on the role of doting mother and every so often would dab away the sweat that built on his temples with a wet cloth, which meant that she knelt beside him on his bed.

Elijah had re-entered the room after a phone call with Camille O'Connell. He was rolling up his shirt sleeves, but Lena wasn't paying any attention. She was so focused on not only Klaus but worrying about the whereabouts of Hayley, who wouldn't answer her phone, and Rebekah who couldn't tell her where she was going.

"I'm going to remove it, Lena, so I suggest you get off the bed," Elijah said. Lena nodded. The only reason Elijah wouldn't let her go looking for Hayley or Rebekah was because he needed someone there for when Klaus woke up and it was obvious that Lena wasn't the only one he would immediately murder. Thank god.

She watched as Elijah took the scalpel that had been lying on the bedside table and tore open the red scar on Klaus' chest where the dagger lay inside of him. Lena brought her hand up to her mouth, holding back any bile that she felt she might puke up at the sight.

Elijah shoved his hand into Klaus' chest, talking to Lena casually of what he suspected Klaus' feelings for her might be and when he brought his hand back out of his brother's body, he was holding the bone dagger. Lena let out a gasp at the same time as Klaus did.

"Niklaus will be weak as he recovers," Elijah explained, although Lena already knew that. "So watch over him and feed him if would , but slowly please, and from your wrist."

"Uh, you guys have bags of blood in your storage, I could easily be out there looking for Hayley with you."

Elijah nodded, contemplating the idea as he used a white towel (Lena couldn't believe that he would use a WHITE towel when they had black ones in the bathrooms too) to wash his hands of Klaus' blood.

"We do," he said, "but your blood is very magical. It'll burn him, which I'm guessing you didn't know, and so he'll ingest it slower. Plus, I doubt my brother would even so much as harm you, he cares for you far too much. Perhaps you could use the time constructively, persuade him not to murder his baby sister. You've done it before, you can do it again."

Lena nodded, pressing her lips firmly together as Elijah dumped the now bloody towel into a washing basket in the corner of the room and made his way back over to whisper to his brother. His voice was too low for Lena to hear, so instead she wrung her own wet towel in her hand, accidentally getting water over her favourite pair of pink dinosaur socks. If she was going to be stuck inside all day she didn't particularly care about looking nice and had been quite happy to put on a simple jersey dress.