✰ TWENTY - SHE WAS THE MOON ✰

you know we've got potential "

TWENTY three years of life and Lena Ricci had never seen a party quite like this. Music pumped through the Abattoir, strangers bounced around, lights flashed in pretty shades of blue. Lena found herself grinning as she leant against the railing that looked down on the courtyard.

She could definitely get used to Elijah's parties.

She then noticed the four witches, as her eyes trailed over the party, who had just entered. Genevieve led the pack, then there was Monique, the other girl who had been resurrected and finally Davina, who looked and obviously felt very out of place. Lena felt a stab of sympathy for the young witch but noticed Carlotta's bouncy blonde curls getting closer to Davina and let out a breath. Carlotta would easily raise her spirits.

"I'm impressed brother," she heard from beside her and turned slightly to see Klaus and Elijah hiding themselves away from the party. The wolves had just entered and Lena could see the grinning Jackson leading his pack. At his shoulder was the much smaller but much bouncier Stacey McCall, in a yellow dress that was fitting yet somehow loose at the same time.

"Yes, now if I can just keep them from tearing one another to shreds," mused Elijah and Lena let out a snort, causing both of them to look at her. Elijah didn't look impressed, but Klaus looked a very impressive mixture of flabbergasted, blown away and amazed. And there was something else in his eyes that Lena was too afraid to decipher.

"For your sake, here's to a spectacularly boring evening," she joked raising her glass of lemonade. Elijah rolled his eyes at her but smiled anyway as he moved over to clink his champagne glass against hers.

"Walk with me, Lena," Klaus ordered, holding out his arm for the young witch to take. She narrowed her eyes at him but did so anyway and allowed him to lead her away from Elijah and closer to the party. She could feel the music vibrating through her legs. "You look absolutely stunning tonight, has anybody told you that yet?"

"My mirror did," she joked, smiling to herself. Klaus chuckled and Lena felt herself smile brighter. Lena did look absolutely stunning in the white, flapper-style dress that she wore. It had spaghetti straps and was tight in all the right places and contrasted amazing with the dark curls she sported that night.

"I heard you come in last night, or shall I say, this morning." Lena shrugged, her eyes dropping to her open-toe heels that she wore. They used to belong to Rebekah, but as a parting gift the blonde had given them to her. She loved them. "What happened to 'I don't drink, it interferes with my magic'?" he asked, sounding just as patronising as any protective and slightly jealous (boy)friend.

"Well, you see, Niklaus, I was a tad bit upset last night," she replied. She had plastered on a fake smile as they walked through the ever-growing crowd of dancing strangers, glancing every which way that she could so as not to look at the very gorgeous man whose arm she was holding onto. She knew that looking at him would make her melt. "See this guy - that I considered at least a friend - told me that I wasn't even good enough at being who I am, and he really did hit a nerve and I lost it. Happy?"