✰ TWENTY TWO - MIND-NUMBING TRICKS ✰

" so tell me where I went wrong "

KLAUS threw book after book over his shoulder. Lena had to duck every so often in order to stop her head being taken off by a flyaway book, but luckily none of them ever actually hit her. If any had, she probably would have thrown each one right back at Klaus even if it started World War 3.

"You do realise that even if you do find your mother's grimoire, I can't do like any of the spells from them?" Lena pointed out, as she sipped her lemonade through a paper straw. Lena knew what plastic was doing to the world, she wasn't stupid.

"That doesn't matter, I'll use any other witch if I have to."

Lena sighed, watching Klaus' back as he continued to grab books from the book shelves and throw them over his shoulder. He had been at it for at least fifteen minutes and Lena was starting to get bored. She had wanted to go out to the bayou to visit Hayley, but Klaus didn't think it would be safe enough for her out there and so she was left wandering the halls of the compound until Carlotta was healthy enough to go out and about and Cami had saved her uncle.

"Can I help you find something?"

Lena jumped as Elijah's voice rang through the room. She threw a glare over her shoulder at him, not feeling very thankful at the fright she just got from him.

"Yes, in fact, I believe you can," replied Klaus. "I'm looking for a book about yay big--" he held up a random, red covered book to show his brother, "--filled with our mother's most powerful spells! It appears to have been misplaced."

"How very mysterious."

Lena glanced from Klaus to Elijah as the elder brother sat down at his desk. Lena was stretched across the couch, feet bare and slightly dirty from all the wandering of the halls she had been doing, and legs slightly chilly from the short skirt she wore. She was suddenly wishing she had worn tights.

"Indeed. At first, I feared the witches had succeeded in their efforts to obtain it, but considering their last attempt ended with me relieving a rather large, tattooed gentleman of his hands, I began to wonder if the thief wasn't a bit closer to home," Klaus accused, turning around to face his suited brother. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be, brother."

Lena gulped, feeling the tension becoming thick between the two brothers. Elijah had found out that Klaus had managed to get the werewolves to go against him, meaning that Klaus was plotting behind Elijah's back. Obviously, the eldest of the two was unhappy about this and had taken back his pledge to take care of Klaus. Things had shifted, the stepping stones of power had moved, the relationship had crumbled.