✰ FORTY TWO - ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE ✰

" i can never say sorry 'cause I won't take the blame "

"ISN'T that the point of a fortress?" asked Klaus. Lena rolled her eyes from where she sat at the opposite end of the table from him, closest to Rebekah. Maggie sat between them, chewing on a new dog toy Klaus had bought her that morning. That morning Dahlia had also arrived while Jackson and Hayley had been on a walk with Hope. "It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls!"

"Okay we get it!" Hayley snapped back, having had enough of the lectures from the hybrid. "Let's just figure out what the hell we're gonna do."

"What I would like to do is take a strong leash--"

"Children please," begged Elijah, cutting off his brother. "Niklaus your ire is justified, however Hayley is quite right, we need to find a new strategy! Freya, if you please." Lena's head snapped over to the witch who was pouring them all tea. She let out a sigh and placed the silver teapot down.

"This spell you described, Dahlia calls it 'kenning'," explained Freya. Apparently Dahlia had managed to brainwash all the people in the street surrounding Hayley and Hope, including Jackson himself but then they snapped out of it after saying whatever she wanted them to. "Using proxies to watch her enemies from afar but I've never seen it done on quite this scale," she told them.

"Awesome," muttered Hayley sarcastically. Lena's eyes flickered over to her as she leant back in her chair, legs dangling over the arm while she lazily petted her dog. "So, basically every hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy?" she asked as Freya brought the tea over to the table on an identical silver tray.

"The good news is I know a little bit about how her magic works, this tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us," Freya told them. Rebekah was quick to reach forward and picked up two saucers with the teacups on them before handing one over to her best friend.

"Well come on," moaned Rebekah when she noticed none of the others had moved. "Should work like a charm."

"Cheers," Lena chimed in, clinking her tea cup against Rebekah's before chugging down the tonic. As she did so, Elijah held out a tea cup for Klaus, who was staring suspiciously at the cup.

"Niklaus," sighed the eldest brother, "is there something you wish to contribute?"

"I prefer biscuits with me tea."

Lena snorted, spitting out half of the tonic in her mouth and spraying it over the table. Klaus had to bite down on his lip to stop himself from laughing out loud as his girlfriend threw her head back allowing herself to revel in his shitty dad joke.