Chapter 15: Free the dragon!

Chapter 15

“I wonder what they came for.”

I looked at Nate who was spacing out. He was clearly talking about the royal family of the Ruby Kingdom.  I shook my head at him and scowled. “Now that isn’t any of your business now, is it?”

He gave me a serious look. “For all we know, it could be important.”

I looked at myself in the mirror, feeling uncomfortable all of a sudden. It was getting late and they’re still talking. What could they be talking about? I mentally slapped myself. I really shouldn’t put my nose into other people’s business.  A sudden thought came to me.

“Hey, Nate. Since that dragon of yours only went invisible to scare me, do you think they saw it? I mean, do you think the people of the Ruby Kingdom saw your dragon? I thought dragons were supposed to be secret.”

He had a thoughtful look on. “Oh yeah..you’re right.”

I stared at him with horror. “Isn’t that bad?!” I shrieked, but not loud enough for it to be heard outside.

He shrugged. “When I came to visit the dragon right before you went out, it was sleeping. For all we know, they might’ve thought it was a statue.”

“But the Queen! She might’ve explained the situation earlier!” I protested, angry that he was treating this as nothing.

This time, he had a hard look on his face. “Well, let’s just hope they wont get too suspicious.”

I was boiling in anger at how carefree he was being. I thought the dragon was something precious to him! “Nate! Do something! They might execute the dragon! Aren’t you afraid of the consequences?”

To my surprise, he didn’t steam at all by my argument. Instead, he grinned like a maniac. “That’s our princess! See! I knew you cared about our magical beings! Shows that you really do see us as family!”

I gave him a skeptical look. “How does that show I’m part of your family? I just..”

I was lost for words since I didn’t find the right word to describe the situation. Nate just grinned at this, satisfied.

“I just don’t want the dragon to get hurt!” I admitted.

“See! So you do care,” Nate stated smugly.

“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes at him. “So do something!”

“All right. All right. Relax. I have a plan. But I’m gonna need you to help me.”

“Okay, what is it then?”

“Well, dragons can shrink to a convenient size. Not only that but they can go invisible in that size. So I think you can guess why I need you.”

I looked at him as if he was crazy. “I don’t know how to shrink dragons! Are you crazy?!”

He slapped his head with his hand. “Seriously? Think about it! I need you to cover for me. I mean, the dragon can’t just disappear on its own! They’d get suspicious! So I need you to tell them you got rid of the dragon or something.”

I placed my head on my palm, getting into thought about it. Yeah. He’s right. I really need to make an excuse to let the dragon free. But what? Pretend to kill it? Pretend that it just vanished out of sight? It still has shackles on!

“All right. Leave it to me!” I assured Nate.

“Good. Go do it now. You might kick me for saying this but, the Ruby Kingdom are the people who should be the last to see our dragons.”