Chapter 45: The Ball

Chapter 45

"You're not wearing make-up?"

I scowled at Nate's question and looked at myself again. "I am! I've put on powder and some chapstick," I defended. I crossed my arms in annoyance since this was all I could do.

"I don't even think that's considered make-up."

"Then what is?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "You know..stuff like eyeliner, eyelashes, mascara, lipstick, and whatever."

My stomach churned at what he just said. I clenched my fists and pursed my lips in embarrassment. "Yeah but.. I don't know how to do them," I confessed, whispering the last sentence.

I kept my head down, avoiding eye contact with Nate. Expecting him to laugh at any minute.

But then it was silent. Great, is he holding himself back now? Is he trying to hold his laughter?

"You're so adorable, Erin."

I raised my head and met his grey eyes. He was smiling from ear to ear.

"Are you teasing me again?"

"No, I just thought that it's so adorable you don't know how to put make-up on. I mean, really. What kind of teenage girl doesn't know how to put make-up on? You're really like a kid."

My face burned in embarrassment. "Yeah now you're just insulting me."

He laughed in the hologram. "Haha, okay, okay. Shouldn't you get going now? What time does that Ball start anyway?"

"They said it would start.."

I looked at the clock on the wall and saw it was a quarter to seven.

"Seven! Shoot!"

"Oh, you better hurry then."

"Y-yeah. Bye, Nate!"

I quickly pressed the pendant twice to close the hologram. I then grabbed the necklace and placed it around my neck.

Okay, I have everything I need in this black pouch. All I have to do now is get to the Ball. I stood up and scanned myself in the mirror for what seemed like the 790th time.

I just couldn't believe who I was seeing in the mirror. I mean, I'm not wearing make-up but I just can't believe I'm wearing such a fancy dress. I'm not used to it at all! Wearing such a thing..makes me feel..fuzzy.

This dress may not seem fancy or prestigious-looking to most people but to me, a former beggar and thief, it was definitely something I would have never found myself wearing.

Nate sent the dress I asked for: A pea-green dress that went down till it touched the floor. It had completely covered my legs. It was also a one shoulder dress with a bit of some silver designs. (Author's note: YES, I AM COMPLETELY HORRIBLE AT DESCRIPTION. That's why I've posted the picture of the dress on the right c; )

I tied my hair into a French braid as well. I don't know, I just like the way I look when it's in a French braid. Nate also sent me a tiny chained headpiece to which I placed on my hair.

I felt a bit scared though. I'm not used to showing off my shoulders. And it's winter too.

I quickly made my way downstairs and tried to remember what Sana told me. She said that we just have to show up by the pool of the school.

It was pretty difficult walking to the pool since I was wearing heels. Imagine, walking on grass. I can tell you right now that I'm not the type to wear heels. But luckily, they were only one inch heels. And they're wedged too.