Chapter 26: The Legend of the Yukai

Author’s note:

Prepare yourselves. This is not Erin’s point of view.

 You’re going to have to guess who. You may read now! :D

---------------------------------------------------------

“Do you understand?”

I nodded my head. I pursed my lips at my dad, displeased with what he just told me. The room was dark. Light seemed to be hiding behind the curtains.

“So I trust you with this mission,” he told me with a straight face. His eyes held no emotion at all as his face looked dark and intimidating. He had well-chiseled features to which I inherited.

“Yes, father,” was all I could reply with.

“You’re dismissed.”

I stood up from my seat and walked to the big oak doors which were engraved with ancient drawings. Ruby gems were decorated at the edges of the doors while the door knob was made of pure gold.

The door behind me closed with a click. I made my way to my room as I felt my mind wander off to  what my father and I just discussed.

Why is it only now he tells me?

The old legend of the Yukai sounds very childish but after hearing my father’s discussion, it had greatly intrigued me. The Legend of the Yukai, huh?

~~~~

flashback**

“Mommy! Mommy! Tell me a story!”

I snuggled up in my bed, getting comfortable. I looked at my little sister who had blazing red eyes, waiting for our mother to tell a story. It was already fifteen minutes before nine. The moon was out, shining brilliantly outside our room.

My mother chuckled at her and caressed her cheek.

“All right. You guys ready?” she challenged us.

My older sister answered from her bed, “Yes!”

My younger sister threw her arms out with a big ‘Yes.’

My mother looked at me with gentle eyes. “Lucas?”

As the only male among my siblings, my father had told me to restrain myself during various situations. He told me about discipline, respect, and most of all, pride. Avoiding myself to mimic my sisters’ reaction, I nodded my head.

My mother smiled at me and walked over to the rocking chair that was just beside the window. She closed her eyes and breathed in slowly.

“Back then, the seven sparkling gems were always in an argument. They kept fighting over and over, almost about the same thing. Who remembers the seven gems? ” my mother questioned us three.

“Sapphire, Emerald, Garnet, Pearl, Amethyst, uhh..” my older sister replied with a half-answer, forgetting the other two gems she left out.

“Ruby!” my younger sister replied with enthusiasm. “Our gem!”

“And Diamond,” I answered last. “But mother, is there really a Diamond Kingdom?”

My mother half-smiled at me. “Lucas, have you been listening to your History teacher? There is. Its not a legend.”

“Then I don’t understand.. If you cant see it, doesn’t that mean it isn’t real?” I asked again.

“What is the Diamond Kingdom’s other name?” she challenged us.