Chapter 43: The Twins

NOTE: What you are about to read is from the PAST. I repeat, the PAST. SO take caution while reading ;) Only doing this so you wouldn't get confused c:

Chapter 43

“Ah, which is the smarter twin?”

“Oh, it’s that one over there. The one with neat brown hair.”

“Ah,” the former replied. “He really does seem smart, huh? The way he stands and the way he speaks! So very mature at his age!”

“Mm,” the latter replied. “Compared to his younger brother..”

“Oh the messy black-haired boy next to him?”

“That’s right. He’s more of the.. energetic type. Lazy, if you ask me.”

“I see.. despite them being twins, we can clearly see their difference because of their hair, huh?”

“Oh yes, we found it much easier in handling them since we could tell who was who. But nevertheless, they look exactly alike.”

“Ah, but it’s only of them who..is going to be the ruler of the Pearl Kingdom?”

“Oh yes, yes. But sadly,” the latter went closer to the former and whispered. “It will be the younger one who will succeed the throne. At least, that’s what I heard.”

Despite them whispering, the young twins could still hear their conversation. Especially the last part. Once they heard it, they both stiffened.

How mean of these women to be chatting about. The twins were out playing in the garden and so these two women who were passing by stopped and started chattering on. Of course, they were completely oblivious to the fact that the twins could hear them. They thought they were far enough from the twins. But no. They could hear them crystal clear.

The brown-haired boy looked away and stared towards the ground, clearly depressed. His brother, who was right next to him, looked at him with a confused look. He didn’t know what to say or how to comfort his silent brother.

“How come? Why can’t the older one succeed the throne? He’s the smarter one, isn’t he?”

“Well, the doctors said.. he won’t be living for very long. He has poor health, you see.”

The brown-haired boy felt an invisible knife stab him. He didn’t like what he was hearing nor did he want to hear it from such busybodies.

“N-Nolan..don’t listen to them,” the messy black-haired boy comforted. “They’re stupid adults. And—”

“AAH, we have to hurry and prepare the tea. Let’s go, let’s go!” one of the two women remembered.

And with that, they left.

The black-haired boy glared at them from behind. “Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ugly, old haaags,” he muttered and stuck his tongue out at them.

“You shouldn’t let them get to you, you know—”

But before he could finish his sentence of consolation, he found his brother, crying.

“N-N-Nolan..N-no..d-don’t cry..hey..”

Despite the comforter’s words, the comforter himself cried. “U-uwaa, hey, don’t cry! Nolaan..”

“It isn’t fair, Noah..”

“Huh?”

“Why was I born? If I’m going to die soon anyway?”

Noah hugged Nolan tightly. “Don’t say that. Without you, I wouldn’t have a brother. I’d be alone.. I wouldn’t have anyone to talk to. I wouldn’t have anyone to fight with or make fun of. I’d be really lonely, Nolan.”