The Graveyard Girl ~Chanyeol

The big oak trees creaked and rustled in the cold wind when Chanyeol walked down the path towards the big iron gates of the local graveyard. He buried his hands in the pockets of his jacket and shivered. It was autumn and the leaves on the path and trees were dyed rich oranges and reds; if it wasn't for the cold, Chanyeol knew that he would be enjoying himself a bit more. Soon he found himself in front of the gates; the iron beautifully twisted and twirled to replicate a kind of image of the believed "Gates to Heaven" but Chanyeol just shook his head silently and pushed them open enough to pass through and closed them behind him again. It was as if the temperature had dropped another few degrees but at least the wind had died down a bit. He smiled into the frosty silence and walked on. He had almost reached the grave he'd come for when he noticed a figure sitting on one of the benches. It was a girl, he realised as he looked closer, and a very pretty one at that. She seemed engrossed in scribbling something down in the notebook that lay on her knees. He walked up to her, curious as to what she was writing. When he'd almost reached her, her head shot up and her piercing eyes stared right at him.

"Um... hi?" Chanyeol waved awkwardly and the girl's face relaxed and she chuckled.

"Hi." She said.

"Um... I'm Chanyeol." He broke the awkward silence that had been growing between them.

"I'm Mia." She said and just smiled. She had a stunning smile; he decided and sat down next to her.

"So... what are you doing here?" His deep voice seemed almost too loud for the silence that rested over the graveyard like a cosy blanket.

"Writing." She said.

"You don't talk much do you?" He prompted.

"No." She laughed. "I'm not good with spoken words." Silence fell after she'd uttered those words until Chanyeol broke it yet again.

"So what do you write about?" He asked, curious what one would write about while sitting on a bench in a graveyard in the middle of autumn.

"You'd laugh if you knew." She sighed.

"No I wouldn't."

"You say that now. Everyone else does." She didn't look up at him, just kept her gaze stuck to the muddy ground.

"I'm not everyone else." He whispered; she looked up at him and then pointed at the grave in front of them. It was an impressive stone memorial with flowers and Celtic knots winding their way up the sides out of a seemingly swirling sea.

"This is A.E. Waterstone." Her voice suddenly sounded out of place; strange and yet familiar as if she was telling a story. Chanyeol couldn't take his eyes off the stone.

"He was a sailor and fisherman, who loved the land. He wasn't from here though. He came over from Ireland. He loved the sea: the waves crashing against the shore and the air that never stayed still and tasted of salt. But he also loved the green grass and all the colourful flowers and warm breezes. Most of all he loved his family; his beautiful wife and five children."

"Five?" Chanyeol interrupted.

"Yes. Five: Four boys and a girl. Her brothers were very protective and she grew up sheltered from the outside world. I would say she grew up without violence and fights, but that would be a lie. She did play with her brothers after all and they counted her as one of them, since she wasn't the youngest but middle child as well. The problem was though that the wife was very unhappy. The other women in the little town on Ireland's west coast made fun of her and never invited her over or anything. To them she was a freak and even though Mr Waterstone tried his best to tell her the truth-that she was the most beautiful and smartest of them all, the wife couldn't help but wonder what was so wrong with her. The problem soon became clear: She wasn't human; she was a mermaid."

"Mermaids don't exist!" Chanyeol interrupted again.

"Shut up and listen, will you? Don't interrupt me again." Mia hissed. Chanyeol looked at her with wide eyes but didn't say anything.

"She was a stranded mermaid, doomed to live with the humans until the day she died. Her eyes were the clearest blue anyone had ever seen and her hair the deepest of blacks. The other women were just scared because she was different. One day when Waterstone came back from the sea, he found his wife crying the purest of pearls that fell to the ground with a soft klink and left an echoing sound vibrating through the house. All their children were gathered around their mother with desperate looks on their faces as they turned to their father, who immediately dropped his bags and hurried to her side. He ushered his children out of the room and searched his wife's body until he found the little shell stuck to the back of her head that was slowly draining her life. He tried to pry it off but his wife's magic was too strong and desperate. And that is how his wife-his beautiful mermaid, died in his arms. He blamed the people in the little town, packed all his bags that very same day and took his children on the boat. That's how they arrived here. They lived here in peace, their mother never forgotten and Waterstone never went to sea again." Mia finished. Chanyeol looked at her with a questioning look on his face.

"This is what I write." Mia explained. "I make up stories-weird, wonderful, impossible stories about the people in these graves. Sometimes I put them down at the graves as well. Maybe someone reads them and smiles at the weird stories I make up about these people." She smiled up at him, an unsure smile as if she didn't know how he'd react. Chanyeol swallowed.

"Have you ever written a story about B. Park?" She shook her head.

"Is that who you're here for?" Her voice was a whisper again and he nodded.

"He is-was my grandpa."

"Well maybe I will write one for him next." She wondered and Chanyeol nodded his head slowly. "What do you think about a story where his grandson asks the weird graveyard girl out on a date at the end?" She stood up and grinned down at him. he laughed and followed suit.

"I think that would be appropriate." He took a step towards her. "But only if she says yes."

"That can be arranged. I think she will though; he just has to ask."

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long wait~ I'll try to be better at updating again! Crossmy heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye~~

Hope you liked this, wee weird storey~

Show your L.O.V. E. <3

Saranghea readerlings! Kxx