Was it too late? is it too late?

"Marcus brown." I say to the receptionist

She smiles politely telling me to give her a minute while she checks the system.

I fidget with my fingers waiting anxiously, I couldn't believe I was really standing in the hospital unsure if my only son was dead or alive. I couldn't rap my mind around it, Marcus was a good kid always has been to my knowledge, he didn't deserve this.

"Marcus Brown is in room 204 located on the 7th floor" the receptionist informs me.

I politely thank her as I hurry to the elevators frantically clicking on the 7th floor bottom once inside.

1,2,3,4 I watch as the elevator seems to be taking forever to reach the 7th floor, the closer I got the more my stomach ached. I felt sick by the time the elevator doors opened. I slowly walked out reading the signs above that would tell me where to go next. I followed the signs as I floated through the hospital feeling like this was all a dream. I stopped once I reached room 204.

I hesitated to open the door not sure of what I was going to see once on the other side, not sure if I could take it. Losing his mother was already enough to almost take me out I couldn't bare the thought of losing him too.

The door opens as a nurse walks out, I guess I startled her because she jumps when she sees me.

"Oh My! Sorry sir I didn't notice you standing there" She apologies as she holds her hand to her chest.

I run my hands down my pants nervously as they began to sweat.

"No my apologies Ma'am I was just standing here trying to work up the courage to go inside and see my son...How is he?" I admit asking her the question that's been bothering me since I got that call.

She places her hand on my shoulder as she gives me a look I can't read.

"You have a fighter in there Mr. Brown, considering how fast he was driving he should be dead its actually a surprise he's not." The Nurse assures me " I'm sure after all he's been through when he wakes up he would be grateful to see he's not alone, go see your son." She says giving me the strength I needed to go inside.

"God bless you" I say pulling her into a hug.

I stood there still staring at the door as I took a few deep breathes before going in.

Marcus

I wasn't sure if I was dead or alive, I wasn't even sure where I was but all I know is I couldn't stop thinking about her, I felt soo helpless she could of been out there dying and I wasn't there to protect her like I told her I would. I was in soo much pain, not physically but mentally not only did I fail her, I failed myself.

I was surrounded by darkness or at least that's how I felt. I couldn't hear anything I couldn't feel anything and I couldn't see anything either, everything was numb.

Some part of me wondered if this was it for me, did I work this hard in life for it to end like this? I let my thoughts consume me feeling like my thoughts was all I had left.

(Marcus Dad POV)

I step inside closing the door behind me, My gaze remained on the floor as I feared to look at my son lying there in that hospital bed.

"Lord please give me the strength." I quietly say a prayer to myself before finally looking up.

My heart ached seeing him lying there connected to all of them tubes. His face was swollen with cuts and bruises here and there. He had on a neck brace and his left arm and right leg both had cast on them. I held on to the side of his bed as I felt my knees go weak, I was getting too old for this shit.