The Ultimate Games: Day Three

Ayla Kelling's P.O.V:

I slowly wriggle out of my sleeping bag and roll it up quickly yet quietly. The sun is yet to creep over the horizon, so I still have a few minutes. I shove my stuff into the bag, and throw it over one shoulder. I clip my shurikens to my belt and tighten the straps of my pack so that when I run it won't be bouncing up and down on me.

I take one last look at the two girls asleep on the ground beside me. Phoenix's arm is wrapped around Mia, they are both in the same sleeping bag, Mia is lying on Phoenix's jacket, using it as a cushion. A slight smile is spread across her dirty but innocent face, probably dreaming of something pleasant. Perhaps winning this and getting to return to her family.

I really hope that I don't end up being stuck at the end with one of these two, I know in the end I could probably kill them, but it wouldn't be as easy as anyone else. I say a quick prayer for the two of them, climb out of the ditch, and cover it back over with a mixture of ferns, moss and dead grass.

I turn and begin at a steady jog, heading out of the woods. After about thirty minutes, sweat is pumping from me, probably due to the severely high humidity. As I step from the trees into the open I feel a small yet refreshing breeze on my face and I take a deep breath of fresh air. The smell of the sea infiltrates my nostrils and I take a moment to enjoy it.

I head into a small clump of trees, not as big as the forest I just left, but pretty big to hunt. I toss a rock into a clump of shrubbery and a single rabbit hops out. I don't hesitate, in one fluid movement, I unstrap a shuriken from my belt and toss it. It whips through the air and sticks into the rabbit's throat, knocking it on it's side. I approach the small creature, it is breathing heavily, struggling to take in oxygen and slowly becoming drenched in it's own blood. I pick it up gently, one hand on it's lower body, the other on it's head. I raise it above my head and bring it down fast and powerfully onto my knee, breaking it's neck.

I shove the rabbit into my pack but freeze when I hear footsteps behind me. I dive for cover behind a tree and a few minutes later, Jason and Maya enter the clearing. They casually walk within a couple of feet within me and take a seat, obviously unaware of my presence. Jason takes a seat on a small rock, less than a meter from me. Maya sits down and lets out a moan.

'' What?'' Says Jason, sounding concerned.

'' Look.'' She says in disgust and holds up her hand, which is now dripping in fresh rabbit blood. '' It's fresh.''

Jason jumps to his feet and draws a dagger. Maya does the same, drawing her flint and steel and they stand back to back. At the same moment, there is a rustling a few meters to my right.

'' Who's there?'' Questions Jason and I curse him in my head.

I'm hardly going to shout, ' Oh, it's me Ayla. I'm over here!' So why would anyone else?

My train of thought is thrown off it's tracks as a dinosaur as tall as me bursts into the clearing. 

'' Philosoraptor.'' Mutters Maya.

'' What?'' Questions Jason.

'' They are a highly intelligent species of dinosaur.'' She explains as the dinosaur circles them.

'' On three.'' Says Jason. '' One...two...three!''

On three, the two of them burst into action, Jason slashing at it's eyes and Maya setting it alight with the flint and steel. Jason jabs with the small dagger in his right hand and manages to gouge out one of the creatures eye-balls. It wails unbelievably loud, but doesn't back down. It then turns back to the duo and whips his tail around which clobbers both Jason and Maya in the stomach and throws them backwards through the air, landing hard on their backs. Maya cries in terror and struggles to her feet. As the dinosaur charges at her, she sidesteps, barely, but manages to get out of the way. The creature smashes into the tree, and both Jason and Maya lash out at it. Jason plunges him dagger into it's back continuously, Maya lights it up in flames. After a few moments, it goes still.