Clayton Chelli - Part Three

Nymphadora Nightlark's P.O.V:

Despite the hatred I had for the child that got my in here months ago, I know feel pity as I watch Snow torture him. He is strung up in the air, dangling by his wrists, a young child! Snow is running the tip of his blade along Clayton's bare chest. At the beginning, the child tried to hide his pain and pretend that it didn't hurt him but that only made Snow more sadistic, wanting to see how far he could go with the child. Clayton is now trembling, blood flowing freely down his dirtied malnourished skin and tears trickling down his face.

'' Will you stop it!'' I screech, for probably the hundredth time, but Snow shows no concern of my plea, or my presence.

For a moment, Clayton looks up then his head hangs low again as Snow drives the dagger into his stomach and begins churning it around.

'' This.'' Begins Snow, wiping the blood of either side of the blade on Clayton. '' Is why you never, ever make a mockery of the Capitol.''

As he says the final word he slashes the knife across Clayton's weak face and cuts a gash across his cheeks and along his broken nose. As Snow continues to slash angrily at Clayton, he turns to me and mouths two quick words before his head hangs low again, only this time, it will never look up again.

Snow then turns to me as two peacekeepers remove the boy's body from the rope and toss him carelessly to the floor.

'' Now for you Nymphadora.'' He grins, his pearl white teeth the only part of him that isn't stained with the young boy's blood.

'' Why wait 'till now to kill us?'' I question angrily.

'' Well I don't like getting things like this over with quickly. I wanted you to grow to love the boy that got you here.''

'' I don't love him.'' I scoff, disgusted.

'' You seemed to care for him as I killed him.'' He laughs cruelly and turns his head to the corpse in the corner.

'' You killed a child, I'd be as bad as you if I let you away with it. I'd be a killer as well.'' I spit.

'' Funny you should say that.'' He grins. '' I'll leave you for now, but bear in mind that statement, when the Ultimate Games spring on us, you'll wish you were an avox.

As he turns away to exit the cell, the peacekeepers toss me a piece of bread, hard from ageing and the two words Clayton mouthed as he died replay in my head, yet I know my faith will be far worse than his, I still feel pity for him and accept his apology.

'' I'm sorry...'' I sob, repeating his farewell.