Training Day Two

Rikari Maslin's P.O.V:

Maverick and I follow the instructor down a set of stairs and into a big hall. We are led into a giant room, we stand on a small balcony looking down on a cornucopia, twenty four metal disks, some weapons, supplies and twenty four robots.

'' Now, go pick a metal disk, I will have two robots taken out.'' Smiles the instructor.

We stand on disks beside each other at first, but the instructor tells us to go opposite each other.

'' The robots are programmed to act like tributes. When I turn the machine on, they will come alive. They will run for weapons and supplies like you. You must wait sixty seconds, then when the cannon sounds, run in, grab as much as you can and get safely out.'' He explains.

We take our position on the metal disks and the machine is turned on. The gold of the cornucopia glints in the light and the robots around us come to life, yet stay on their disks. In my head, I try to count down sixty seconds but I lose focus and count. The cannon booms deafeningly loud and I jump, I then run towards the horn, knowing I am too late. Maverick reaches the cornucopia before me, or any of us and grabs two stacks of throwing knives, a big ruck sack, a sword and sprints away before any of the robots take much notice of him. The robots reach the horn just before me and begin devouring it of it's supplies. I reach it and grab dagger, plastic which I am surprised at at first but I guess it makes sense. I quickly grab a small pack but that's all that is left, the robots have retreated too so I slump back to the instructor disappointedly.

'' One more time!'' He calls, still smiling.

We stand on the metal disk, I try incredibly hard to count down sixty seconds in my head. Just as I say naught, the cannon fires and I leap from the disk and sprint as fast as I can towards the cornucopia. I grab hold of a big pack and sling it over my shoulder. I take a hand full of throwing knives and shove them into my pocket, I grab a loaf of bread, a small first aid kit and sprint backwards, away from the horn and back to an applauding instructor. A few seconds later, Maverick returns with a similiar find, a bag, a stack of knives, a large sheet of plastic and a sword.

'' I have a new test for you. This time, the robots will fight you. They are programmed to die if you hit them with what would be a fatal blow if this were real. They are all programmed differently though, they won't all be going for set items, they will fight eachother as well as you. You must get in, get supplies, then fight your way out and get to me. When you have both reached me, I will turn them off.'' He smiles and Mavericks face lights up with excitement.

'' Let's do this.'' I smile to him.

'' Let's.'' He repeats and we take our positions again.

I count down the sixty seconds in my head, just as the cannon blares I jump from the disk at a run and continue towards the horn. Beside me a robot tackles another to the ground and I get caught up in the fight as I am knocked to the ground as the robot falls itself. I get up quickly, ignoring them and continue for the cornucopia. Maverick has reached it and is fighting off two robots at once. The three of them all have swords, Maverick though, doesn't seem to be able to use it and is knocked to the ground. I sprint forwards and grab two daggers from the ground as I go. I jump and slice at the neck of one robot and impale the other dagger in the back of the other. One falls to the ground, the other advancs for me with the sword raised. I stumble backwards and land on the ground, the robot sticks the tip of the sword into my stomach, well against it and I look and see Maverick losing to another robot.

There is a bell, the robots freeze and the instructor smiles at us.

'' Not bad. Let's run it again.