Chapter 6

Chapter 6 

6 hours later 

"Mikaela, are you ok?" I felt a hand on my cheek, forgetting about Kryzstofer I grabbed the hand and was about to go all Taekwondo on him when his hand moved to my temple and I passed out again.  

Hours later I awoke once more to Kryzstofer's hand on my cheek. I opened my eyes and saw his worried eyes, he smiled but the smile didn't quite reach his eyes. I smiled, reassuring him and me that things were alright. My mind was foggy, events from last night-or rather this morning- came flooding back the moment I stood up. Kryzstofer looked down, pained. I tried to think of happy thoughts for him. Smiling at my seleceted memories, Kryzstofer looked up at me. Still his eyes looked at me strained. I knew i'd broken his heart a little, I hadn't meant to yet somehow I did.  

Andrew was no one, but his death had impacted me gravely. It had reminded me of my father's death, all those years ago. The way Andrew died, alone and without family, brought back the pain I felt when my father had died out on the road. He had died slowly and crying out for his family, his neck had been broken but he survived for hours. When someone finally found him, his last words were: Tell them I love then, tell her I forgive her. I learned hours later of this and i'd killed myself. Of course i'd been a reaper and unable to die but i'd tried. I loved my father just like i'd loved Andrew. I had saved him from himself only to have him die in my home. 

"We need to talk." Kryzstofer said sharply. "Mikaela?" 

"What?" I snapped. "What do you want?" 

"You have a lot of explaining to do."  

"Oh please Ricky," I said referring to my favorite Tv show 'I love Lucy'. "spare me." 

"I have a right to know about him!" He whispered loudly, about as close as a yell as i'd get. "Don't I?" he added. 

"I don't know, Kryz, do you?" 

"I thought I did." He sighed and looked at his hands. I looked down too, my stomach turned over. "I thought I did." He repeated, whispering. 

I grabbed his hands towards my face, inhaling his scent. I'd never meant to hurt him, never. Andrew was no one, no one compared to Kryzstofer. I began to tell him about Andrew. Andrew had been this bum who i'd see everyday on my way to school, yes I was in school. After a few times, I saw how misunderstood he was. He was an orphan kicked out of his foster parents home, 5 years ago, after turning 21. He'd been traveling and had gotten a job before he was accused of stealing and was ultimately fired. His life after that went down the hill. He had no family, no parents or wife, so he had no one to fall back on. I looked at Kryz who was listening intently, looking at my eyes and my lips.  

After listening to his story, I felt a connection to him. He had lost everything like I had. I invited him home and gotten him a job. Later I learned about his drug habit. Once I helped him get clean, his Lifestream became clear. He had only weeks to live, if not days. That had been 5 months ago. This morning his Lifestream had flickered and I had assumed he would die on his way to work, and then he came home. Kryzstofer was there for the rest. I stopped and found myself crying. Tears fell down my cheek bones and on my lap. Kryzstofer said nothing, he just looked at me. He never judged or told me how stupid i'd been. I released his hands, which I still had in mine. 

"You loved him?" He asked slowly. 

"No, I didn't." I looked him straight in the eyes and said, "No." 

"Then what," he motioned to me, "is this? Why are you so upset?" 

I thought of it before answering, how do I tell him? How do I explain what I feel? How do I explain my relation to Andrew? 

"Relation?" Kryz said, reading my mind. "What relation?" 

"Did I mentioned his Nachname?" I asked. 

"No you didn't." 

"Tresky." I said. Krysztofer sighed heavily. 

"That doesn't mean your related. People have similar last names." 

"It's my Nachname!" I yelled at him. "My last name!" 

"Yes your Nachname from a century and a half ago." His eyes looked at mine again, this time though I looked away, mad. 

"We could be related. His grandmother was Lily Tresky, my niece." 

"You don't know that. You lost contact," He gripped my shoulder and turned me slowly. "a long time ago. This could be another Tresky family." 

"You can find out for me though."  

"Yes I could." I inhaled happy. "But I am not." Shocked spread over my features. This was my opportunity to bury a loved one, and he wouldn't even find out if we were loved ones! 

"Why?" I said, tears returning. "Why won't you do this for me?" 

"Because I love you." 

"Then do it!" 

"I love you, didn't you hear me?" 

"I heard you!" The words I had been waiting for finally came and I wasn't even happy. "I do too." 

"Let this go, please." He placed his hand on my cheek, caressing it, his thumb brushed my lips making me remember last night before the interruption. "Please, for me?" 

I nodded because I could not bring myself to comply with words. My tongue felt heavy in my mouth, heavy with guilt and sorrow. Kryzstofer's hand went behind my neck tilting it. Suddenly his lips came crushing down on mine, hungrily. Angry I returned the kiss, deepening it. His body moved towards mine, while I leaned back on the bed. His spare hand on my waist, pulling it towards his. My mind filled with wonders and desperation. I needed Kryzstofer, badly. But then my mind wondered to Andrew. Where had his body gone? 

Pushing Kryzstofer away, I straighten my clothes and asked with a controlled voice, "Where is he?" 

Kryzstofer groaned and stood up as well. He opened the bedroom door and steped aside to let me pass. He closed it behind us and walked me to the living room where Andrew had died. I looked at the couch and saw nothing. The room was empty, only we stood there and my furniture. I must have looked confused because Kryzstofer chuckled and said, "You can't see it can you?" I nodded no. "You can see Lifestreams but not this? Unbelievable." He walked to the center of the room and extended his hand in the thin air. Reciting some words under his breath, Kryzstofer stood there for a while, chanting. A few minutes later he opened his eyes and looked at me. 

"You've never seen the part we see." He pointed to himself. "The good part of dying." 

"There is a good-" I stopped. The place where Kryz had had his hands began to glow. A yellow yet clear white light appeared. Faintly I could see an outline, of a body. Andrews.  

"Watch." Kryzstofer commanded. He moved close to me, his hand around my waist. "Watch." he whispered in my ear. 

I watched in awe. Andrew stood there like a ghost, happy and smiling. His aura a musty white color, the sign of a happy afterlife. He smiled, his white teeth shined, and waved at me. I stifled a sob and waved back. He put a finger on his lips and said, "Don't cry. I am happy." and turned. Turning back once more to nod to Kryzstofer, he took a step and disappeared. His soul having crossed over to our Lord's embrace.