Chapter 2 - Wait. Are You...?

I was so frustrated.

I paced the lobby while Dad and Dan chatted with the woman, trying to sort things out. No, there was no way in hell I was going to share my apartment with this Dan Robins! First of all, he was a boy and who knows what kind of things go on in his mind! Second, this was my freedom! Dan would not ruin it! And third, I kept seeing a mysterious glint in Dad's eyes when he looked at Dan and then me. No way, pops. I was not going to date that creep.

I sat down in one of the chairs and sighed, tilting my head back and closing my eyes. What would a girl do in a situation like mine? Well, obviously, because of Dan's gorgeous appearance, most girls would jump at the chance of sharing a room with him.

Others would be shy and stay in one room all day, not even daring to use the shower until he was gone.

But either way, I realized, I would have to share the apartment with him. We had no other choice. Now, I just had to figure out how to get along with him....

"Hey." His voice caught me by surprise and I looked at him, watching him hover beside me, grimacing. 

"Bad news," I instantly said, judging from his face. I sat straight and sighed. "Lemme guess. We have to share an apartment, don't we?"

"Does my face give it away?" he asked, smiling slightly.

"Yup," I answered, playing with locks of my chocolate brown hair and twirling it around my finger. Dan's smile grew a bit and he plopped down in the seat beside me.

"Since we'll be living together," he started primly, and I cringed, "we might as well know each other. What are some things you hate?"

"The fact that I'll be living with you." I didn't mean to sound rude, really, I didn't, but this thing about living with him was really getting on my nerves.

He sighed. "I hate it, too. But what choice do we have?"

"I hate messy people," I told him, looking at him in the corner of my eye.

I saw his lips twitch. "Oh, that's a bad thing. I guess we really won't get along then. I happen to a very messy person." He winked. "Wanna know what I hate?"

"What?" 

"Girls who study their entire life. People need some fun in their life, you get what I'm saying?" He looked at me hopefully and once again, I was breath-taken by his flawless face. I'd be living with this god-like creature! That, I definitely couldn't get used to.

I nodded, unable to speak at first. "Uh, yeah," I said breathlessly, shaking my head. What I didn't realize was that I was pretty much one of those girls. All these years of my life, I had been studying so hard. But not anymore. This summer, I would have fun! 

"How old are you?" he asked curiously, narrowing his eyes thoughtfully, studying my face as if that gave away any hints. I blushed at the scrutiny.

"I'm turning eighteen," I muttered, looking down at the chair's arm.

"Really?" he asked. "That's cool."

"What about you?" I asked after a moment. I had expected him to continue, saying "Really? That's cool. I'm blah-blah years old." But he hadn't.

"I just turned eighteen recently. May twenty eighth."

"Oh." I paused. "Happy belated birthday?" I know, it was a lame attempt, but I couldn't muster up anything to talk about. I just felt so awkward around him. Not just him, but anyone. I was pretty social awkward.