Chapter 46 - Look Mister, He's Taken

Chapter 46 – Look Mister, He’s Taken

“Stop pacing,” Miranda scolded, watching me with her beady eyes. “You’re in an unstable condition. Or do you need me to define what that means?”

I ignored her, my fists painfully clenching at my sides, my nails practically digging into my palm flesh. I glared up at the wall clock just above the door. “When is Dan going to be here?” I hissed.

“Dan is coming?” Jacob asked.

“Yes.” I didn’t press any further.

“Why are you so angry all of a sudden?” Conner inquired, giving me a strange look.

It was a simple, innocent question yet it seemed to fire me off even more. Of course I would have been perfectly fine discovering that my boyfriend’s ex-crush was back in town and that fate had brought them together again! What could this possibly mean? Did Dan still carry feelings for him? Would this be the final end of us?

So many things seemed to get in our way, as if the world didn’t want us together. Did this mean we weren’t meant to be?

I swallowed down the lump in my throat. No, stop it. Instead of answering Conner’s question, I looked back at the clock again with a short sigh.

Michael was sitting in the corner of the room, seemingly bored until his eyes fell upon Jacob with a smirk. “Hey Jacob, I barely talked to you at all,” he mused.

Jacob slightly turned his head, raising his eyebrows. “Oh, it’s okay – ”

“So, should we continue our date later?”

Despite being so uptight, I half grinned at Michael, my grin growing wider when I saw Jacob’s face turn a shade of lovely bright red. He stammered out incoherent words, unable to form a sentence.

Miranda just stood there, gaping. “Your date?” she shrieked. “You – you two are gay?”

“Problem?” Michael looked at her briefly, the shortness in his voice unmistakable.

“No, it’s just....I thought you were straight. I thought both of you were straight. Jacob was even dating Angelina. But you two are together...” She trailed off in disbelief.

Conner had his eyes narrowed at Michael and Jacob before turning his head away. “Wow,” he murmured.

What if Conner is gay, too? I wondered, actually wishing that he was. It would save me from a lot of trouble. I wondered if I should ask him some time.

Wait, he can’t be, I realized. He had been doing inappropriate things with Miranda that day when I’d gone with Jo! I blinked and pressed my lips together. “Miranda? Conner? Um. Can I ask you guys something?”