Chapter 1 - I'm Not Sharing Anything!

© Copyright 2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 1 - I'm Not Sharing Anything!

I zipped up the suitcase, and dragged it downstairs, using all my might. Maybe those arm-wrestling sessions with Dad had actually been worth my time.

I dropped the suitcase by Mom's feet with a proud smile. "That's the last one," I told her, wiping away sweat from my forehead. Packing sure was tiring, even if it was just my room. I had a million things in my room.

Mom was busy dramatically wiping away tears. "Angel, you don't have to do this,'' she sniffled, putting her hand on my shoulder. Leave it to Mom and her dramatic performances. She had once been an actress, you know. But this time, I knew she wasn't kidding around. She really would miss me.

"I know Mom," I said firmly. "But I want to. Don't worry, I'll visit before university starts and we can do everything we did last summer. Right now, things are hectic and I need my freedom. I still love you and Dad."

"My girl is growing up," Dad said, coming behind Mom with a wide smile. Dad would miss me, too but I wasn't moving far away; just in an apartment, a few blocks off. He was proud of me, though. He saw this is as a successful future for me and I had to agree; living alone would benefit me greatly.

I smiled back. "Thanks Dad. I'll miss you, too." I hugged him, though he would be driving me to my new apartment. I would miss my family like hell, but this sudden freedom was getting to me. I was beyond excited, and well....a little nervous, too.

I hugged Mom and kissed her on the cheek. She started crying again and I rolled my eyes, even though I could feel a few tears welling up. No, don't cry, stay strong! I told myself. She squeezed me once more (knocking out all the breath in me) and kissed both my cheeks. "You must visit," she sniffled, wiping away tears.

I nodded, smiling proudly. "I will, Mom. Take care of Dad, will you?"

Dad sighed. "How many times will I tell you? I don't need special care! I'm perfectly capable of taking care of my own health." He smiled lopsidedly.

I laughed. "You always say that, Dad. But even a tough guy like you needs some extra care."

Dad sniffled, pretending to cry. "See? My girl cares so much about me." He picked up my suitcase and Mom squeezed me one last time, still crying. I fought back tears and finally pulled away with a wavering smile.

"Bye Mom," I whispered.

Mom covered her mouth with one hand, eyes bright with tears. "Bye my Angel," she whispered back.

I picked up my other suitcase and with one last glance at the house, headed out to the car with Dad. I sighed in depression as I stuffed my suitcases into the trunk and headed over to the passenger seat beside Dad.

He started the car and finally, we were on our way to my new home - though calling it home didn't sound quite right.

My new apartment wasn't very far, probably a fifteen minute drive and half an hour walk. I could survive not seeing my parents, but it would be difficult.

"Are you excited?" Dad asked me, smiling.

I smiled back. "Yup. This means a new start."

"You'll call, won't you?"

I smirked, patting Dad's shoulder. "Even daddy will miss his little girl."

"Of course I will," he said. He smiled sadly. "You have been my little girl for seventeen years. It's hard to let you go."