Chapter 50 - Every End Is A New Beginning

Chapter 50 – Every End Is A New Beginning

My fingers hovered, my throat tightened painfully as I stared at it. Finally, I inhaled deeply and closing my eyes for a brief moment, my fingers pressed down on the button.

A moment later, the elevator doors opened and I stumbled inside, leaning against the wall with a sigh. I listened to the creaking noises as I descended and eventually, the doors opened again, revealing Sarah.

“Hello Angelina!” she greeted happily.

“Hi,” I said, brushing past her cautiously. “I’m, um, gonna be heading out so if anyone is looking for me, just tell them –”

Sarah’s skeptical look made me stop midway through my sentence and I sighed again. “Just tell him I went out.” She nodded, still doubtful, and without another word, I dawdled out the front doors.

The warm summer air lingered around me, sticky and humid. The sun was shining brightly, its rays blinding me as I made my way through the busy streets. I finally reached the music store and just as I was about to open the door with a sign that read OPEN on it, my phone rang.

“Angelina!” Miranda chirped. “I was hoping you’d pick up.”

“Can I hang up?”

“Stop being rude. Okay, I know university beings in about two weeks for you, so I wanted to throw you a little party. And before you groan and say ‘I don’t want a stupid party,’ just know that it won’t be a huge party. Just you, me, Dan, Conner, Jacob, Michael, your friend Jo and anyone else you want. What do you say?”

I thought carefully about it. Then I groaned and said, “I don’t want a stupid party.”

Miranda cursed beneath her breath. “Look, stop being such a party pooper. Just because there might be a chance that you’ll be separated from Dan –”

“Who told you about that?” I demanded, narrowing my eyes.

“News travels fast, honey, you gotta keep up.” I wondered in the back of my mind who had spread the news so quickly. “Like I said, you need to stop grieving and live in the moment.”

“Who said I’m grieving?” I muttered bitterly. “I don’t want a party. I just want to start studying.”

Miranda gasped from the other end. “Are you serious?” she exclaimed. “What is wrong with you?! Angelina, this is summer. You can study any time you want during university, but you can’t have parties or have fun!”

“Of course I can. Besides, I don’t even wanna party or have fun or –”

Miranda hung up. I rolled my eyes and tucked my phone away before opening the door to the music store. Thankfully, Jacob was sitting behind the counter and when he noticed me, his face brightened and he grinned widely. “Angelina!”